The Elgin Bruin! ***Fender Update June 16th***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Edit: I cannot in good conscience continue to build a "Blackhawk" while supporting my beloved Boston Bruins. Suck it Chicago. Lol. Go Bruins!!!

So I guess I'll do this. I picked up my Blackhawk at this years Monson show. It's a mess. Kinda unsure I what I want to do with it but it's not nice enough to restore properly. So it's gonna get the RRB treatment.

Re: Blackhawk for the Build-Off

Great looking bike!
Glad to see you in the show!
Good luck.

Has nice lines but the frame has serious issues. Repairs already in progress but pics not online yet.

cool bike can't wait to see some detail pics of the frame. don't think I've seen one of them before.

Troy

Let's pick this up. I pulled the bike apart and snadblasted a bit on the top tubes as they appeared to have issues. Not a good thing. Rust holes, a large bulge (from frozen water?), dings, etc. This is what I have...

Re: Blackhawk for the Build-Off **See the Damage!**

That looks like the belly of snake with a RAT inside of it.
I am sure you will be able to release it's inner RAT!!

Yep, pretty bad. Just right for a good bike, but I wouldn't take it off any sweet ramps.

I've never seen a water bulge in a frame tube! Steer tubes, yes.

There are a couple points on these oddball Elgin frames that typically have busted welds. How is the base of the seat tube at the bottom bracket and the top of the seat tube at the stays?

Jpromo said:
I've never seen a water bulge in a frame tube! Steer tubes, yes.

There are a couple points on these oddball Elgin frames that typically have busted welds. How is the base of the seat tube at the bottom bracket and the top of the seat tube at the stays?

I agree it is a weird place for a water bulge, but that is what it looks like. Only other issue I see on the frame is a spot where the top tubes meet the head tube. Looks like it never got braze in one small spot.

The Repair:

First, get a piece of iron pipe from the hardware store and put in a vise. Mark and start cutting down the tube.

With a few cuts lenghtwise, I cut them off and ended up with 3 "arcs" of iron. Take one and hold up to the frame where the bulge is. Trim with grinder so it was roughly the same shape as the bike tube. The chunk ended up being slightly triangular if you know what I mean. Make a second piece to match the other side of the same tube and clamp them together with the frame in the vise. Then crank on it!

I wish I had taken more photos of the process, but as you can see, it worked perfect! The bulge disappeared! Repeat process for the other side of the tube. I was thrilled by the results!

Off to the sand blast cab again and clean it all up. This is the next challenge. Holes and dings.

Re: Blackhawk for the Build-Off **Frame Bulge Repair 5/25**

Nice job dude.

Cool tip! easy fix for a hard problem thank you

Troy

Next update: frame repair part 2: braze.

20130402_172509_647_zps5d6aa3e9.jpg

20130402_172527_464_zpsd6b85ef9.jpg

20130402_172537_393_zps93cec658.jpg

20130402_172604_357_zps14699290.jpg

20130402_172625_356_zps53c2a03d.jpg

A little grinding and filing.

20130404_170106_875_zpse9f957bd.jpg

20130404_170151_688_zps7725f57b.jpg

More sandblasting, a little body filler, and some sanding. This is about all I can do with the body work.

20130506_215544_514_zpsf8bfe376.jpg

Re: Blackhawk for the Build-Off **Update 5/31 Brazing!***

Wow! Nice work!
I love how beefy those top bars are.

Latest posts

Back