The Dharma Bum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, I submit for your approval, the Dharma Bum.
higgins30.jpg

She's a 1946 J.C Higgins, completly re laced, refurbished amd regreased. I gave her a 'new' seat but everything else is original.
higgins34.jpg

higgins31.jpg

I decided to takes some pics while on one of my 9 mile rides on the Airline Trail.
These pics was taken on the beginning of the ride on the other side of the gate where the trail crosses my road.
jch3.jpg

jch4.jpg

It was a brisk November morning,about 32 deg. F when I started my ride.
jch8.jpg

Here we are at mile marker 7, the first marker I come across about a half mile in.
jch5.jpg

Peddle, peddle, peddle.
jch27.jpg

Mile marker 8 dissapeared a while back and some good natured soul stacked ths pile of rocks in it's place. I just finished reading Jack Kerouac's 'The Dharma Bums' and in the book markers like this, they call them ducks in the book, are used by moantain climbers and hikers to mark the trails. I saw the marker 8 pile on one of my rides and was inspired to give my bike the name I did. The main character prided himself in the minimalism with which he led his life. I think this bike captures that spirit of minimalism.
jch22.jpg

Peddle, peddle, peddle.
Mile marker 9
jch16.jpg

Peddle, peddle, peddle.
Mile marker 10
jch18.jpg

Peddle, peddle, peddle,
jch21.jpg

This trip ends where the trial crosses RTE 85, thats where I turn around and take the return flight home. The ride home is a slight down hill grade for the most part. Thats the best part.
jch30.jpg

Well I hope you enjoyed the trip as much as I did. I am blessed to have such a beautiful trail so close to home and enjoy sharing the experience. I really wanted to convey that I built this bike to be ridden and building it was as much fun as it is to ride. Good luck to all the other builders, there certainly are some great bikes and hope my bike is up to the challenge. Looks like it's time this bum had a bath.
Godspeed. Doug.
jch11.jpg

STOP THE PRESS!!! I misspoke when I said everything else is original, the crank, pedals and grips are not original equipment. everything else is though. (cept' the seat)

Latest posts

Back