The Death-Ray: World’s Fastest Schwinn Stingray build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Ratty Bikers!

I’m building a gravity racer out of a 1968 Schwinn Stingray.

I got the bike as a $50 basket case from a guy out in the country past the F1 track.
I was building it up as a lightweight rider when I decided I wanted to see how fast a Stingray could go. And that led me to gravity bikes.

Here are the rules (which I made up and plan to change as needed) for the World’s Fastest Schwinn Stingray:

The frame must be an original 1963-1980 Chicago built 20” cantilever Schwinn Stingray frame.
You can shave down any part of the frame but all frame tubes and welds present must be factory Chicago Schwinn.
Fork must be Schwinn Stingray, from Lil Tiger to Pixie to Stingray to Manta Ray to Krate.
Rear swing arm extensions ok, but must be made of Chicago Schwinn steel. (Doesn’t have to be Stingray.)
No gas or electric power - pedal and/or gravity power only.

Here’s a mock-up of the chassis with a Pixie fork and a 26” 50s Schwinn springer rear swing arm.

a76510c92b126cb92d7bd6e131d84367.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e4ed72533414691e5cd7e17fc3af6442.jpg

This was the bike how I got it.
Impacted seat post, slightly bent fork, half of it gone, junk wheels crank and sprocket.
Two coats of spray paint.

ef349ff24c71ad701a5b761da7398f4e.jpg

I fixed the bike up as a lightweight rider with a custom spring saddle banana seat.
The seat broke.

5d2d5b9e9d8de3fdd2a8b7b2dc35f0cc.jpg

This is where the dangerous fun starts.
I tore the bike down and then chopped and shaved the frame.
I’d already cut off the kickstand frame mount and chain guard brackets.
I cut off the fender bracket and rear fender mounting nubs.
I shaved the head tube down to 2.75” tall.
I shaved off the seat post clamp nub.
I streamlined the front cantilever tubes so they’re flush where they meet the frame.
I narrowed the bottom bracket and cut off the bottom half.

ad824ca3c095388cf4aada7d184992be.jpg

I want to use 16” Sting-Ray Pixie forks to drop the front as low as possible. I bought two NOS forks and designed a custom flush hidden headset to get the front fork even lower. Today I filed the stock fork crown races off so I can fit my own stainless spacer on there.

Interested in seeing where this goes.....

Latest posts

Back