The "Cow Catcher"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a project that I've been wanting to post up since March and I'm finally getting the time, so here it is!

This idea has been evolving in my head, on paper, and through a couple test bikes, until I've pretty much dialed it in. I wanted something smooth and flowing yet sharp and aggressive. But most of all, just BIG! I'm 6'2" and wanted something that didn't feel cramped or awkward. This thing is just shy of 8 feet long overall, but really doesn't seem that big until its up against other bikes :D . The entire frame is scratchbuilt including the headtube, bottom bracket, and dropouts. And I did the entire thing in one looong weekend, minus paint.

So here's what I started with.
IMAG0291.jpg

As I started laying out the tubing.
IMAG0292.jpg

Tacking the main portion of the frame on my super accurate flat concrete jig :lol:
IMAG0127.jpg

It's comin along!
IMAG0132.jpg

The best helper out there...
IMAG0143.jpg

Building the seat stays and chain stays.
IMAG0148.jpg

Eyeballing the bends.
IMAG0150.jpg

Finishing the welding
IMAG0156.jpg

The maiden voyage: 30 miles and it felt like nothing!
IMAG0315.jpg

100_1194.jpg

Like I said, it doesn't look big until its next to my dad's Electra Rat Rod.
100_1204.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

And after paint... I personally wish I would have left it raw, but oh well
IMAG0439.jpg

Very,very cool build,bro! Awesome lines. And I noticed that you've left enough room for a wider rim in the back. Any plans for doing that?
If so, you might even consider a 3-speed coasterhub. Would be an improvement on an already perfect bike.
Congrats with this masterpiece. 8)

The "Cow Catcher"

Nice work! I bet with the length it rides great!

Looks very nice... I too am a big guy at 6'8" and have sketch a similar design. I am glad to see what it looks like. Now I gotta finish getting all my parts together and get my build started.

Thanks everybody for all the compliments and suggestions.

wimpy said:
...I noticed that you've left enough room for a wider rim in the back. Any plans for doing that?
If so, you might even consider a 3-speed coasterhub.
I built it wide just in case I can someday come across a wide 29" wheel. If I can't find one then I may just have to lace up a dually like I did on my stretched rat. As far as the 3 speed setup, I've been debating trying out the new Sturney 2-speed kickback to keep the cleanliness of no cables.

Here's the dually:
IMAG0644.jpg

jackdaw said:
Super sick! Is that orange thing (with the jack) on your red cart a tubing bender? How does it work?
Yes, the orange thing is a Harbor Freight hydraulic tube bender that I picked up barely used at the swap meet for next to nothing! It's a pretty simple setup; just pop the correct die on and pump a little/release/move a tiny bit/repeat. Biggest suggestion is to take your time with it or you'll go way too far AND kink the tubing... Trial and error i suppose :lol:

Hogaboom said:
Looks very nice... I too am a big guy at 6'8" and have sketch a similar design. I am glad to see what it looks like. Now I gotta finish getting all my parts together and get my build started.
Good luck and it's great you're doing it yourself. Being tall, the comfort is the way to go!

This was just a neat pic my neighbor took of my setup as I was heading out to Santa Monica yesterday to ride. And this one actually makes it look small until you see the side view!
imagejpeg952_4.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

Great job on the bike especially bending up though tunes without kinking them.......

Do you have any side profile pics of this bike????
IMAG0644.jpg

Latest posts

Back