"The Cats Meow" 1949 Straight Bar *UPDATE 2* 08/02/12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D :D Hello RRB, here I am, at it again...lol.. I had posted this on the Gallery section as a tease for a future project.
WP_001656copy.jpg

Well, I've started work on it today..I started by replacing the Original paint/patina 1953 frame and replacing it with my 1949 Frame..
and don't worry folks the paint and patina was just to nice for me to ruin, so I do plan on a future Board Track/Klunker build for this bad boy :)
Thecats3.jpg

I'm really going for a RESTO/MOD type build with this one here and I will be naming it "The Cats Meow" although it aint much of a cats anything right now...lol.it should be a beauty once its done.

I went ahead and primered all the parts the will be painting, I didnt do any prep work beacuase I will be sandblasting everything, and I really just wanted to see it in a solid color to get a feel for it...

For a color scheme I will be sticking with a black and bright white, I will be painting the wheels white, and adding the original style graphics to the fenders and frame.
I will also be adding a phantom headlight, I just love the look of those... other plans are either a Brooks B33 or B190.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I will be taking my time on this one... Hope you guys like it!! :D

I'm having trouble deciding on bars, so I hope you guys can help...this is what Im working with.....

Option 1
Thecats1.jpg

Option 2
Thecats2.jpg

and I really wanted to keep it classy but with a tweek of the fork and the bars I had on the 53 I give you..

Option 3
Thecats4.jpg

Re: "The Cats Meow" 1949 Schwinn Straight Bar

I like the second option. Try flipping them and see how that looks.

lildietz said:
I like the second option. Try flipping them and see how that looks.
Didnt really want to flip the bars on this one, I want to keep the classic look of the bike but... I did have this set up to begin with **See Option 3** lol.. thanks :D

I like all 3 options,But id like to see a set of apes on that dude! 8) :mrgreen:

Re: "The Cats Meow" 1949 Schwinn Straight Bar *UPDATE*

Thanks alot for the input fellas, I went with Option 1... I really liked the look of those bars, it was pretty hard though...lol..
I had a little bit of time today and it was a rainy day here in LA so I went ahead and added graphics, I made the stencil using a piece of card stock and sprayed it with white primer..
The bike looks rought but pretty cool, I really dig the look and will be going with this paint scheme...Ill have more updates as I go along...hope you guys like it!:)

WP_001986copy.jpg

FatBoy said:
I like all 3 options,But id like to see a set of apes on that dude! 8) :mrgreen:
lol.. Ill look for some apes and see what that looks like, you got me curious :)

Awesome ride! The ring in the rear wheel is for a belt drive from a whizzer motor. Is this a sign? Is it time to jump over to bikes with motors?
Hay it’s a thought :lol: . Again nice bike

kcjim78 said:
Awesome ride! The ring in the rear wheel is for a belt drive from a whizzer motor. Is this a sign? Is it time to jump over to bikes with motors?
Hay it’s a thought :lol: . Again nice bike
Hey thanks kcjim78 Im taking things slow with this one, but when I'm done, it will be nice, straight, and shiny. I love the look of the rear whizzer wheel and it will be staying and eventually be put to use. I plan on taking the bike to venicemotorbikes to have it motorized :D

scott brownsey said:
sweet bike whats in the rear wheel spokes i like it
Thanks scott brownsey, kcjim said it best..the rear wheel is to a whizzer and that ring is for a drive belt, I do plan on adding a motor to the bike but even if I decide not too, Ill keep the ring on the wheel.. I just love the way it looks :)

Hey Boybluela
Yes the ring is the Heart and soul of this build. :D I have admired the Venice boys work for a long time. There Sportsman was the inspiration to start simple build (talk about taking your time :roll: ) but hey it is good and I will complete it. The nice thing about it is when I do tinker with it,it is very enjoyable and satisfying :!: so to me it does not matter how long I work on it. The build will be 2/3 the fun anyhow. Looking forward to seeing where you go with her in the future. Jim

Re: "The Cats Meow" 1949 Straight Bar *PARTS UPDATE 1*

Well fellas I have a minor update, Ive found and ordered some parts and a couple of them came in today...I was really excited when the mail came in thats for sure!!

For starters, The Cats Meow will now have vocal cords...lol.. I found an old Persons Siren Ive been wanting for some time now and I figure this build will be perfect for..
I went ahead and installed it on my 53 straight bar so I could try it out, Ive never seen or heard one of those things in person or on video so I didnt know what to expect...well all I could say is that thing is awesome...lol.. I love it, now you have to excuse my mounting hardware but the bracket didnt come complete so I use a couple of zip ties to hold it on...lol..

WP_002159.jpg

I also uploaded a rough video of it in action, Ive looked and looked and was never able to find one, so I hope it help anyone looking to purchase the same but are unsure :)
I dont know how to show the vid here, but here is the link :)
http://youtu.be/QAa4I1H0Ras

Next is my Phantom light, this is a repop but since the bike is not an actual Phantom and I love the look of the light I figured I could get away with it...lol..

WP_002158.jpg

And at last, The Head Badge thats going to make this build...lol.. My Excelsior badge :) I figure it will class it up a bit..lol.. stay tunned for more, thanks for looking RRB :D

excelsiorbadge.jpg

Hello RRB... I kinda fell asleep on this one... The cats meow was put on hold for other projects till last month when I found a super clean Delta Rocket Ray. If you remember this bike was primered only to get an Idea of what I wanted to do with it. Now Im still planning on doing a full restoration, now that I have most of the parts I need, but for now I felt like I wanted it to fit in with the rest of the flock.. Im sorry I didnt get more pictures but I think youll get the Idea with the pics I did take... I went ahead and repainted the bike and distressed it to try and simulate and original paint...

Stenciling for the feathers, shot it with black first to try and reduce bleeding
WP_003896.jpg

Here is the base coat on the rear fender with the masking for the graphics
WP_003895.jpg

Here is the damage I caused it after the paint cured :)
WP_003929.jpg

And here it is once I put it all back together
WP_003928.jpg

Last Sunday I went to our Local Cycle Swapmeet determined to find a tank for it among other things.. Well I scored..I found a tank in really good shape and a nice set of early script grips, came home and painted tank, and installed the grips. I was so excited I didnt take any pics of the prepping and painting... anyway I got it on, installed the decals, and now I have what I think is a very sharp Rider :) hope you guys like it..and there is alot more to come!!
Updated3.jpg

That indeed is 'the cat's meow' 8) ....very nice work! :D

Latest posts

Back