The Budget Boardtracker. Ring or Spike? I NEED OPINIONS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have built a boardtracker before, But I still want to build a bicycle with a more old fasioned frame. Heres my idea:
It all started with me peeking into a dumpster behind my local bike shop.
A few minutes later I had 3 american-made bikes saved from being melted down.

Im planning on welding in the curved top bar from the crushed cruiser frame into the boys blue Huffy and welding in a 2 inch steel ring as a spacer between the bars.
Heres the ring.

Heres a rough mock-up:

Im planing on doing some cutting today.

Re: The Budget Boardtracker

There is a tube coping program on the internets which will allow you to print out a template for easy cutting. Accurately notched tubes make it so much easier to weld/braze it together.

Re: The Budget Boardtracker

SSG said:
There is a tube coping program on the internets which will allow you to print out a template for easy cutting. Accurately notched tubes make it so much easier to weld/braze it together.
How can i find it?

Mock up the spike pointing forward.

I just gotta ask, what does the spike look like pointing straight up?
I like it pointing forward, but it looks like it needs something coming out of the back of it, like an arrow shaft or something... Even a short piece of round bar sharpened to a point...

Quick idea, what about if you put a tube to the back of the forward facing spike, and run it back "through but not really through" the seat tube and split it into a rack on the back? Kind of like a newsboy special but with more attitude?

Luke.

I like the ring, but the spike is way cool.... agree though, needs a shaft - maybe going all the way to the seat tube.

As far as the spike is concerned, I agree that it needs something coming out the back. Luke's idea of adding a tube to the spike going right back and merging into a rack is good. 8)

If the spike is pointing up, then the curved second top tube will need to be lowered too and might not look as good. :|

Having said all that, I think I prefer the ring as it is simple and represents completion. :wink:

Or you could find an eight, or make an eight out of two rings, and use that since it is build off #8 :roll:

I am sure what ever you choose to do will be great in the end. :D

Latest posts

Back