Jul 21, 2012
Beachwood, NJ
www.facebook.com
Hello all,
Few weeks ago I struck gold and came across an old Macargi Royal out for trash, I know its not a really old vintage but the bike was teetering on being "too far gone". It may not qualify for this build off but its what im building this winter and it will need alot of work. Completely locked up and rusted together, thing's had to be chiseled apart and the rot and rust was way worse then expected, when removing parts salt water poured out of the frame, so instead of becoming scrap, im saving her.... hence, "The Brave Little Toaster" lol I want a way to showcase the age and leave it with a vintage feel with all new parts.

Jul 21, 2012
Beachwood, NJ
www.facebook.com
Heres the rust and rot repair (dont know if im posting incorrectly, this is my first time) just catching this up to speed on where I am currently in the build....

A few friends said "This bike is worthless" SO I filled in 2 holes with coins, one a quarter and 1 a nickle, NOW the bike is worth atleast 30 cents lol

This was just SOME of the welding this frame needed, she was basically toast ..... but i cant let go

Jan 2, 2012
Mykonos,GREECE
Certainly not a vintage frame,but you have to admire and lauf at the rot... Just goes to show they don't make bikes like they use too.
A lot of work for 30cents... Hopefully holds and is rideable for another year...
Keep up the good work.

Reactions: RustyGold
Jul 21, 2012
Beachwood, NJ
www.facebook.com
I threw on some random parts while I wait for some stuff to come in on order, Ordered 26x57mm wheels with a 2 speed kick back archer strumer hub anodized red with black spokes, to be wrapped with 26x3 Beach Bum tires and tubes. Im getting ready to paint and was planning on painting this bike grey, BUT the way she looks raw with all the age, I feel like its something that needs to be shown so im leaning towards a clear rust inhibitor, a adhesion promoter, and a heavy gloss clear. So now I stair at it with random wheels and tires I had layin around trying to decide if i want the rusty forks and handle bars to remain rusty to match the frame or paint the front end black?
So whats your opinion.....
should I perfect the frame and paint it grey or leave it like this pic and clear coat it?
and should I leave the fork, stem, and bars rusty to match the frame with clear or gloss black the front end?

I applaud your hard work. Keep it up. It's worth saving.

Reactions: DeFresh

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Great work on resurrecting that frame! Man you are making fast work on this bad boy. Looking good

Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
Heres the frame all grinded to bare metal ready to be repaired and welded up, I heated and banged the seat post for an hour and its seized in, so ill be welding in a permanent non adjustable post, also going to sheet in the top area of the frame.

While everyone on her is acutely aware that I am more into preserving rust than repairing it, you sir are doing a bang up job!

And, I love the tenacity and pace of your work. Looking forward to your 'daily posts' of progress!
RaT oN !

Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
While everyone on her is acutely aware that I am more into preserving rust than repairing it, you sir are doing a bang up job!

And, I love the tenacity and pace of your work. Looking forward to your 'daily posts' of progress!
RaT oN !

Jul 21, 2012
Beachwood, NJ
www.facebook.com
Great work on resurrecting that frame! Man you are making fast work on this bad boy. Looking good
thanks man, Wheels are soposed to be delivered today. I run a dump truck co here in NJ and things are slow so this is my project at work/home where ever I am lol, I cant stop

Reactions: RustyGold
Jul 21, 2012
Beachwood, NJ
www.facebook.com
Got some stuff in the mail today, 3 piece crank with american BB conversion, and a kickstand being that the stock one got hacked. got all the paint and the bike is hanging prepped for paint, being its going to be 50 degrees tomorrow, im going to give painting it a shot. I got some stencils made from a friend out of vynal to paint on the lettering, then blacking out the original handelbars, stem and forks, then heavy gloss on the whole thing. Patina it is.