THE *BOBBACHOPS* SPECIAL - **NOW ROLLABLE** 8/30

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: THE SATURDAY / BOBBACHOPS SPECIAL

(i know its not saturday, but its raining and the wifes not home)

i gotta replace some bulbs in the garage !! just tried to remove the crank and hit another snag :roll: seems the left pedal has been welded on :x they did a decent job too, looks like some decent welds, but not good for the "salvagable parts" bin.
oh well, guess that means i get to buy some real "schwinn" pedals after all :mrgreen: this old bike is becoming more like a new bike every time i look at it...

the death pedal

100_1112.jpg

the keeper pile

(youll hafta imagine the crank/pedals are gone for the moment)

100_1109.jpg

100_1110.jpg

so...

frame - check
headset cups/bearings - check
bars- check
sprocket - check
crank cup/bearings - check
wheels - check
tires - check
chainguard - check
seatpost/clamp - check
fenders - dont need em
fork - on the way
stem - on the way
crank - need it
pedals - also need it
headbadge - to be determined
seat - checking possibilities
night visibility devices - check
super cool trademark dual round reflectors - check
super cool valve caps - check
sacrificial item of individual interest - check
paint - got it but needs it
further personalization - got plans

just getting started and lots of fun stuff still left to do !!!

cool! now you know you can just grind the heads of the pins that hold the pedals on and replace them with some carriage bolts
right? no need for new pedals(although youre gonna have to cut that crank to get it off :cry: )
i like the plans for further customization!(and the masking machine :wink: )

thanks for the offer daimen, but i think the forks situation has been solved thanks to the freindly types that frequent this place !!

great group of people here !!! glad to be buildin with you all too !!!

SQUARE ONE

frame is bones now :D

100_1289.jpg

i found out in about 5 seconds the recip.saw wasnt fast enough, but the cutting wheel was ...

100_1272.jpg

100_1271.jpg

smooth sailin from there ...

100_1274.jpg

and de-kickstanded ( i recommend doin it upside down so the pin doesnt fall out and get lost)

make shift shim (scrap piece from a wald neckstem)

100_1275.jpg

100_1276.jpg

4" c-clamp

100_1277.jpg

the target

100_1278.jpg

applicable force

100_1279.jpg

pullin the pin

100_1280.jpg

backed off

100_1281.jpg

100_1282.jpg

kickstand sweep ( remember to put it backin the was it cam out, 3 ways to go back in and only one way is right)

100_1283.jpg

100_1284.jpg

100_1285.jpg

100_1286.jpg

100_1287.jpg

gotta fork comin from necessaryevil (and thanks to all that were/are willing to help)
neck comin from yeshoney
crank/pedals comin from flyingdingo
buggin firewalker about a seat
chimichangas hooked me up with lights
and my wife is offerin to help with the build too !!!

hmmmmmmmmmmm...............particle board roof,hubcaps hanging,florescent lighting.........are you in my garage?!?!?
good to see you got it apart without incident :mrgreen:

Whoa, how did I miss this? Good choice on not doing the Hiawatha. Are you going to use a springer?

gonna stick with a blade fork, i like the blades and im trying to go "lite" on the chrome parts to make the paint job et all the looks, plus the squeaky forks kinda get to me on longer rides. nothin real fancy, just gonna be your basic bare bones schwinn turned into a ratrod is all :mrgreen:

fork came today from necessaryevil WOOHOO !!!but ran into paint stripper woes over the weekend.... barely put a dent in the paint, i believe they must of painted it with rustoleum or something, tried bathin it for 15 minutes, wash, 30 minutes, wash, 1 hr, wash.... nothin. turned pink but never gave way :?: now my fingers feel like springs are goin off in em every letter i type from runnin the sander for bout an hour... and probly got another hours worth of sandin to do too in all tohse hard to reach places !!!

Re: THE *BOBBACHOPS* SPECIAL

I had the same problem with the frame that the forks came from. It's that darn TGI Friday's "special patina" on it. It's like a forcefield against all paint strippers!

well, i tried to strip it out in the sun on a hot day, im now told you should cover it with gladwrap after its coated in high temps, dont really know tho if it would have worked, almost got it sanded bare by hand now :lol:

i was also told "EasyOff" oven cleaner will get rid of anything

not much progress, hope to have the bike in primer tomorrow, picked up a brand spankin new speedo tho :D

got most the decals - still waitin on some other parts but i think everything im gonna need to finish the way i want is coming together

bike will be BLACK
white rims
with some red here and there
I was gonna try to keep it as "Plain Jane" as possible in the start, but i think the eclectic side of me is taking over a bit :roll:

100_1819.jpg

Bobbachops must have Crossflags :mrgreen:

IMG_1088.jpg

also bothered to look at the serial since the frame got sanded - its an "M1...." Dec 61 maybe i can pass this off as a prototype when im done :mrgreen: j/k

Latest posts

Back