The Big 'Un, 36er, Powder Coated and Looking Good!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I bought a 36" wheel set from Coker, and tried to adjust a cantilever frame to fit them. It looked ugly. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67526

I came up with a different idea. I have this idea to make one of my Science frames for it, enlarged to fit the wheels. The thought is, from a distance, it looks like any other of my 26" bikes, but as you get close... well, then scale comes in to play.

I started by using 1 1/2" tubing, instead of the 1" I normally use, and then I went to work today.
IMG_1360_zps52114705.jpg

IMG_1362_zps248bc2e6.jpg

I keep telling myself that my next bike won't be stretched, so that i'll have a bike that fits on my car's bike rack, but no, I keep building long bikes anyway.

Re: The Big 'Un, 36er

Really cool for a start. Should be a really nice build. The wheelset wasn't cheap huh? Ouch!

Finally someone who takes on the challenge with 36"-ers. :D :D
This can't go wrong,I'm sure. You've got yourself another projectstalker. :mrgreen:

Uncle Stretch said:
Really cool for a start. Should be a really nice build. The wheelset wasn't cheap huh? Ouch!

He told me they would be $350 shipped. For those interested, the breakdown was thus:

Complete wheel set, includes wheels, tires, tubes, and cable and shifter for the 3 speed S/A hub. $300
Shipping. $50
Plus I got charged tax, and I'm not sure if every state would or not. Approx. $25.

I paid about $375, but considering that I almost bought the $700 Monster Cruiser at one point, intending to chop it up, it's relatively cheap. Plus, a set of the 26 x 80mm rims all laced and ready to go cost almost that much, so it's not as drastic a difference as it seems. If I had purchased the whole cruiser, then I could have used its fork, and possibly its seat stays and chain stays, not to mention it's other parts such as saddle and handlebars, but since I had a triple tree fork that fit it perfectly, and I can build a rear myself, and I've got lots of parts laying around, I'm very happy that I went this way. I'm also happy that I didn't go with my secondary plan, which was to buy a Walmart 32", and do something similar. The 36's are going to make a big dramatic difference, I think.

Finished the geometry of the frame, today, and even got the drops on there to attach the rear wheel. All that's left to do is weld up the BB. This sucker is BIG! I even threw in a shot of it next to one of my regular 26" Science bikes, as comparison.
IMG_1369_zps12b98b43.jpg

IMG_1370_zpsb44ed8d2.jpg

:shock: FAR OUT!!! What are you gonna call it? Bigfoot? :mrgreen: Would be the proper name for it.
Let's assume it runs great,like all your rides, is it an option to bake some sort of stretcher/lowrider/burrito-ish frame (when you finished this one)?
So you only have to swap wheels for a totally different look. As a stretcher-addict,that what directly sprung to mind when I saw your monster on wheels. (no offence if you think it's a rubbish idea) 8)

Frame finished!
IMG_1381_zps208bbe94.jpg

Bent some 7/8" tubing really quick, just to get it out for a test ride.
IMG_1383_zps6f01df9d.jpg

Now that it's riding, I've gotta say, it gave me the exact feeling that I was hoping it would. Normally, in order to get the leg stretch that I desire, the bike has to be long, which means low. And, I'm okay with that, but it felt awesome to ride a bike that gives me the stretch I want, in roughly the same position that others take on regular bikes. I love this bike! I felt like a kid riding his dad's bike.

Neat concept!

ÜBER 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back