The BIG STING--Paint update 05Nov2013

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The BIG STING--1st mock up pics

Got to playing around w/ a different sissy bar and apes. What do you think? Input is welcome.....

Same apes, short sissy bar:
20403197920477-vi.jpg

Different apes & sissy bar side view:
24403197924835-vi.jpg

Different apes & sissy bar front view:
26403197926691-vi.jpg

Tall sissy bar w/ different apes side view:
31403197931066-vi.jpg

Tall sissy bar w/ different apes front:
34403197934099-vi.jpg

Re: The BIG STING--more mock up pics 12 Oct

Completly understand, I change my mind often... I would have gone for the tall sissy bar but it just seemed to make the apes look shorter, and I like tall apes! :mrgreen:

Luke.

I like the shorter apes and the tall sissy bar but paint it red to match the chain guard.

I'd like to find some apes and a sissy bar somewhere in between so it "balances out".

I won't paint it the red on the chain guard but red is not out if the realm if possibility.

I am liking it. Personally I like the shorter bars. The tall bars with tall sissy bar look good too. Have you thought about making a bigger banana seat?

I envisioned myself to sleep last night thinking of what I'd like to see on this. Okay, not really......but it sounded good.

I want to go with a longer banana, mid-high sissy bar and taller, wider apes. That way it all flows and looks proportioned. I don't want one of those things to distract from another.

CRASH said:
good thought process Chip. I think you're on the right track with it!

I hope so. I'm not building it to win anyway. I'm building it to ride, be proud to be seen on it, and support the build challenge.

I'm the same way. These were two projects I had anyway. One is for me, the other is for my kids. The challenge just pushed me to get off my butt and get them done. Win or lose I'll still have nice rides, and probably better rides because the challenge will force me to up my game.

Okay......I've not quit on this, but have been extremely busy lately. Along with building "The BIG STING", I'm trying to finish the "Pack Rats" too. They have to be done at the same time The BIG STING does! :shock:

No progress on the bike itself to report. I've been moving in more things to my new house. I got my workbench and toolbox in the garage the other day. I misjudged the length of the workbench. It was in storage so I didn't get an actual measurement off it. I thought it was 6 feet long. It turned out to be 7.5 feet long........OOPS!! :shock: I was going to have it and my toolbox beside it, under the shelving all nice and neat. Oh well, the tool box will placed someplace else. My garage is a large 1-car so space is at a premium. Here's what I've got so far....

Garage01Nov2013-vi.jpg

The walls are insulated and covered with brown paper. I'll be covering that with some barn siding hopefully. The back wall is pegboard. It will get some small wall-mount cabinets mounted under the pallet rack shelf along with a 4' fluorescent work light. the pegboard will get used for hanging things. I installed a new overhead light too. It only had 1 coiled fluorescent bulb for the whole garage. It was replaced with a 4' fluorescent and a single bulb fixture that was inoperative by the back door was replaced. So now I have much better lighting and it'll get even better once the walls are done.

I've got a decent little work area now in my garage that I wont freeze to death in this winter!!! I also have a small work area inside the house for assembly & disassembly. No chemical use inside the house!!

LukeTheJoker said:
That is nice! Looks like the perfect work station!

Luke.

Thanks Luke! Hopefully it will be nice as time and money allows.

I forgot to mention that I was finally able to get the paint I wanted. No one had it in stock and it was a special order item with a 4 week delivery ETA. I finally found 1 place that had just enough for me and it should arrive on Wednesday. I've been spending a lot of my time looking for that paint!! I'm picky.... :wink:

Re: The BIG STING--I gots me some paint!! 05Nov2013

My paint arrived!!!!! Not the greatest pic to show the color, but when it's laid on w/ a few coats of clear, it should look pretty good!!

50405393890817-vi.jpg

I like the paint choice I went with the blue metalic rust-oleum on the ruler I was amazed how well it went on as rust-o has always been kinda gooey and slow to dry but the metalic went on smooth and dries super fast and it looks great.

I've not quit!! Since there's been a build time extension, I've shelved The Big Sting and have been focusing on finishing the Pack Rats. I've got to have them ready to ride by December 7th!! :shock: :shock:

Latest posts

Back