The best part about this hobby...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only a few months into this old bike hobby and I'm lovin' every moment! I like the day to day search for that next new project. I like the time in the garage cleaning, greasing, tweaking and then standing back and taking in the style and the simplicity of the bike.
But by far the best part is the ride!! Taking something out on the road that spent the last 40 or more years just sitting in a shed or barn and putting it back to good use. I'm already up to my 10th or 11th bike, nothing real special yet, but every one has been fun prepping and even more fun using.
The first bike I bought about 3 months ago is a '38 Elgin. The wheels are in pretty bad shape so that bike has been sitting in a corner until today. After work I decided to pull the wheels off a '46 Cleveland Welding I bought last week. I cleaned and greased the hubs and put on a new set of tires and tubes. I bolted them on the Elgin and took it on it's maiden voyage. I put on just shy of 20 miles on that thing tonight! The ride IS the best part of this!
stuff.jpg

I agree with you that riding these bikes is the best part of the build. I'm fairly new to this and just finished my first one... a Murray 6 sp klunker. Got out on the local forest trails with my family this Labor Day weekend and had a blast with it - even caught some air! Found out that cruiser style caliper brakes are not enough on the downhills, though. My next klunker build will definitely have better brakes... cantilevers or v-brakes - maybe even discs!

Great looking Elgin, by the way!

The old Elgin looks great.
I agree the parts search and build is fun, but the best part is the ride. I rode my 56 Jetflow all weekend, and my 64 Spaceliner all day today. I love the old bikes.
Kenny

kensmurray said:
The old Elgin looks great.
I agree the parts search and build is fun, but the best part is the ride. I rode my 56 Jetflow all weekend, and my 64 Spaceliner all day today. I love the old bikes.
IKenny
I'd like to see your Jetflow..They have my fav tank..

I bought it as a bare frame. I've been slowly putting it back together, I just bought a correct rack, still looking for a tank.
Kenny
img_2614.jpg

Henry morgan said:
the bikes are cool... the peeps are otay .. but I am just in it for the girls.

Sometimes it's fun to be a rock star! ........ NOT :p :p :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

flexmgr545986_351747271573395_456591348_n.jpg

I agree with everything you just said except for this:

themotorcycleguy said:
I'm already up to my 10th or 11th bike, nothing real special yet,

Since the bike you showed and the bike you mentioned that you used for parts are both better than anything I have or have the possibility of finding around here.

Latest posts

Back