The 12 Year Project- 20's Shelby- Bare Bones, Bare Metal, Barely Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I think I made it- Half an hour early instead of half an hour late like last time I entered. Had to shoot too early since it was the last day but I think everyone will get the idea. I'm going to go ahead and publish this now! Thanks for looking!
LBCJshelbyRRB11-01.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-02.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-03.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-04.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-05.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-06.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-07.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-08.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-09.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-10.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-11.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-12.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-13.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-14.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-15.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-16.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-17.JPG
LBCJshelbyRRB11-18.JPG

Dude this is awesome, love those Monark springer forks.

Understated but not under-appreciated. No way I could drive past this bike and not swing the car around. This bike is a beauty!

Here is the build thread in case anyone missed it.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...re-metal-barely-in-the-finished-thread.98454/

A quick rundown of the parts, too:

Frame was determined to be Shelby- 27-28ish
Monark repro fork
stem supposedly for Monark bars with the full size cross bar and no flat ends
'48 Dogleg crank-unknown origin
solid skiptooth chainring-unknown origin
Elgin front and rear aircooled hubs- Woot!
Electra drop center rims
Duro brickyard tires
lucky 7 seatpost
Persons seat with way too much time in it
Lossa Engineering clubman bars
Thompson "cola" bottle grips
Everything on the bike is either bare metal, old chrome, brass, stainless, painted a muted gold metallic, or black rubber!

Thanks again for looking!

Wow! The finished bike collage I just saw on Facebook looks awesome! Congrats to all the finishers. But it made me realize I've been planning to vote for about 8 bikes! Tough decisions ahead!

The satin finished bare metal is gorgeous! The color on the wheels and the small parts is the perfect compliment! Well done!!!
Thanks man! I like the way it all works together. I all started with the fact that the brazing is all over this thing instead of just in the joints. Played off that and here we are! Looks like you're killin it, BTW!

Can't go wrong with bare metal and clubman bars on a prewar bike. Simple yet awe inspiring.:41:
Thanks man. Former Long Beach neighbor Jesse James used to call some builders "cake decorators" and I guess it stuck. There a few things I will do to this one still but for the most part I like to keep them simple. Let the vintage parts and little details speak for themselves. I showed my lady yours and your wive's entries- hopefully she does one next year, lol! Bikes look good- congrats to both of you!

Love your bike! This subtle rider is so very well finished, and totally my style of build. Almost perfect IMO. Voted for you like many, and for good reason. Great job on this bike.

Back