Thanks Dad!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father, who is 84 years old, grew up in a small town south of Pittsburgh, PA. Working for the US Forest Service, he moved around a bit before finally settling in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where I grew up. Some time ago when he was visiting his family in PA, he found his old bicycle from when he was young and brought it home. His intention was to reassemble it, but it ended up in his basement. Several years ago he asked me if I wanted it, but at the time I didn't have anywhere to put it so I declined. Recently I started thinking about that old bike, so I called Dad to see if the offer was still good. Before I got the chance to ask him about it, he said, "Hey, I've been meaning to call you. When are you going to take my old bike?" A couple of weeks later I drove up there to attend the funeral of a good friend's father. After the funeral I went to my parents' house, took them out to lunch, and before heading home I went into the basement and scrounged up all of the parts from his old bike. When i got it home I immediately started taking apart what little was still together, cleaned and greased all of the bearings, replaced the tires, tubes, and rim strips, and called it done. After doing some research online I was able to identify it as a 1938 Colson. It has a Morrow rear hub, which I had never seen before despite working in a bicycle shop for several years. Luckily I was able to find information online to help me reassemble the rear hub, and it works great. I've been riding the bike and get a lot of comments about it, especially when I tell the history. I love this bike!

DadsBike.jpg

I don't think it's original paint, although where it's flaking off it's bare metal underneath, so it could be.

Get some patina'd grips and be done with it. Ride it!!!

arpicker said:
I think that is the original paint.. there was one posted a long time ago that had that same paint job.. I'll go find it.

Here it is:
2096433811_dce3409268_o.jpg

Thanks for the picture. The paint on the front fender looks the same, so it could very well be original.

The badge is missing, but the chain guard is definitely Colson. My Dad also remembers it being a Colson...he's old but he's still sharp as a tack. :)

What you see is the cleanup picture. It's cleaned up as good as it will get without repainting, and from here the only thing I plan to do (as was suggested earlier) is to find a set of handlebar grips for it.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I think your Dad wanted you to get it out of his basement and bring it to my house. Your garage is way too cluttered... you just don't have the room Rich. Your Dad always liked me better anyway. If I'm not home when you bring it over just leave it in my garage and lock the door behind you please.

themotorcycleguy said:
I think your Dad wanted you to get it out of his basement and bring it to my house. Your garage is way too cluttered... you just don't have the room Rich. Your Dad always liked me better anyway. If I'm not home when you bring it over just leave it in my garage and lock the door behind you please.

Your wife said you already have way too many bikes and that I should come over and take some of them.

Latest posts

Back