Texas DFW Area

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been building custom bikes in Plano for about a year and a half now. I have to say, the custom scene around here (from what I've seen) is more than dismal. I did the Garland show last October & was invited to Dallas shows this year (which I just did) & I have only met one other person doing custom scratch builds. Everything has been road bike racing clubs or the Tweed Ride and bike fashion stuff that honestly my bikes or myself are not about.

When I did the Dallas show in Deep Ellum a week and a half ago, there were people who asked me if I knew any clubs in the DFW area that ride, yes RIDE, bikes like mine or customs in general. I told them I looked all over and haven't found anything. I talked to the director of the show & they too grimaced and said no, but if I found a club/group that does exist, to let them know.

As far as riding goes, I've been a lone wolf for the last year and a half other than occasionally when my wife rides with me. Although, as much attention as I get from all sorts of folks when I'm out riding, I'm hoping that it's inspiring people to start their own builds and that interest will gain momentum. That said, if you know any custom bike riding groups clubs in the DFW area or are interested in getting one going, let me know. :D

I think the Dallas area is a tough nut to crack when it comes to casual cruising.

I've never really gone on any organized rides mainly because I'm not really into bar hopping. That seems to be what many of the folks want to do if they aren't into racing.

Whatever I did, I'd end up bringing my family with me and it would have to be a good environment for them to be in.

I've often thought that an organized ride on a Sunday afternoon near downtown McKinney would be fun. It's basically a big grid down there and you could ride throughout the old neighborhoods and look at the Victorian style homes and eventually end up down on the square to eat at one of the restaurants down there or grab some Gelato at Paciugo's.

I don't have any truly custom bikes, just pieced together rats and bmx stuff, but I'd be down for some group cruising. I like the family friendly idea as I've gotten my wife into riding some and our 1 year old loves checking out the sights from his trailer.

Yes, it's true, most casual Dallas bike rides are bar hopping & even the last show I did, there was free beer supplied by a local bar. Almost everyone there was drinking but my wife and I. My wife doesn't drink and I rarely do. But, there's no way I'd even consider drinking and riding. I have way too much time, work and money into my bikes to even take a chance with that one. Besides that, it's about the riding and bikes right? From what I have seen, they use bikes as an excuse to get together and drink but then it's not really about bikes or riding right?

My wife agreed, she'd rather have a fun, clean or family oriented ride. I think that's one thing that gets missed a lot, there's not many activities whole families can do together but riding is one of them. The thing that gets me is how massive the DFW area is & nothings going on. I lived in Houston for a yr and they have a scene. Phoenix has a big scene, so does Vegas, all non coastal cities too. Heck, I just had a guy in Austin call about building him a bike. What's going on here I haven't been able to figure out.

I have thought about trying to organize a ride here in Waxahachie. We have a 7 mile bike /walk trail that would be perfect. It's actually 3 1/2 miles but you start on one end and come back to the other it equals 7 miles. I know Waxahachie seems far but we ride this trail all the time. The trail has parks on each end. We could have a show and a ride.

I'd be down for a show and cruise and wouldn't have a problem with driving a little bit to get there. The only problem I've had getting to the local bike swap meets is that they always seem to fall the weekend of major classic car swap meets and auctions and since I make my living in that world I always go to those instead.

Latest posts

Back