Tempe Showdown (AZ Chop Shop vs. Wacko's Garage)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little Arizona Tour-de-Fat competition. AZ Chop Shop and Wacko's Garage are having a little build off for the Tour-de-Fat in Tempe October 6th.

Tempe_Showdown_Oct6.jpg

Voting will be for the Rat Rod Bikes folks and also for the people that come to the event. Hope to see you there!

Here's the start of my build! Trike build for the OHSO Brewery in Scottsdale AZ. They wanted a trike with the ability to move some product and catch a few eyes.

A mix of old and new parts going for a vintage look more than chopper or stretch. Vintage includes a springer fork and the rack supports from a spaceliner
IMGP1180.jpg

Experimenting with my new bender...
IMGP1206.jpg

Prepping the jig for frame building.
IMGP1207.jpg

Sturmey Archer 8 speed disc hub for the jackshaft. will make getting kegs up to speed easier!
IMGP1208.jpg

Stopping that much fun is just as important. Mountain through axle hubs for the trike axle then Avid BB5 Disc brakes run with a Problem Solvers Cable splitter.
IMGP1209.jpg

Watching this one!

Major frame progress today! Hope to stay ahead of schedule on the build... the past few builds I've done for the Tour have come down to the last minute.

IMGP1235.jpg

Frame is nice and big with an upright riding position. The new owner wanted the trike to fit a tall guy and not be too laid back.

IMGP1236.jpg

New idea for trike dual disc brakes. Using mountain bike through axle front hubs because they happen to be 15mm just like standard trike axles.

IMGP1237.jpg

Productive afternoon too! Rear axle work.

The only problem with using the through axle hubs was the spacing. Drilled out the weld for the drive plate.

IMGP12372.jpg

Drilled the drive plate to the disc pattern.

IMGP1239.jpg

trimmed just a bit off the axle sleeve on the drive side hub.

IMGP1240.jpg

rear end almost ready. just need to reinforce and cut out the center of the axle tube.

IMGP1244.jpg

WOW! :shock: :mrgreen:
Great Stuff here!!!!

azchopshop,
Something has been wrong with photobucket for a day or two... Can't load up pics!!!! hope they fix it soon!

pvwacko,

Trike looks KILLER!... Like a spacliner on steroids..... Great idea for cross bar on the handlebar.
Rearend looks great!

Keep up the killer work guys!

OK, rear rim should be here later this week... Also need to pick up some brake cables for the problem solvers cable doubler. Other than that it's all here :D Not much visual progress today but I did get the drive train all lined out with new keyways, bearings, chain, and tensioners. That means, one more rim and I can ride this thing! Only part still needing attention is getting the cable doubler mounted and hooked up to the discs and finishing the jockey shift which is almost done. I already hooked up the shifter and ran the cable through the frame.

IMGP1306.jpg

I also started mocking up sheet metal for the trike. I'm going to lay out the rear platform and take it down to the local sheet metal shop and have them bend it up on their brake real fast. Maybe that's the next big tool I buy...

IMGP1309.jpg

Also have to cut out the front panels and make my louver press so I can mount those and also add the louvers to the rear rack.

IMGP1307.jpg

Back to the other job for a few days then it's back to work! I'm trying to finish this a week before the Tour De Fat so I can take it to the big car show of the summer up here in the Arizona White Mountains... the Run To The Pines two weeks from now.

Ok, photobucket is working again. Time to upload.

I took a neck from an mountain bike to get the cups and bearings.
TDF%209-14-14%20(15)%20(Large)_zps6feea25d.jpg

TDF%209-14-12%20(2)%20(Large)_zps86ea28d7.jpg

I cut the neck in half so I could insert it into a longer tube to make a long neck.
TDF%209-14-12%20(4)%20(Large)_zps8a770866.jpg

TDF%209-14-12%20(7)%20(Large)_zps72a1ef5c.jpg

TDF%209-14-12%20(8)%20(Large)_zps57c1353b.jpg

Then I mad holders for the gas shock.
TDF%209-14-12%20(10)%20(Large)_zps3b2c6714.jpg

Here is a video of the gas shock in action.

got my wheel last night and put it together for a ride this morning. hooked up the dual discs and it's all working good! Needs a little lower gear ratio but that's not too hard to do.

IMGP1310_zps6dc4c6c0.jpg

IMGP1311_zps6475c362.jpg

IMGP1312_zpseda1197f.jpg

also a local sheet metal shop hooked me up with the bends I needed for the rear tray. I'll spend the afternoon fitting the sheetmetal and other smaller parts.

IMGP1313_zps79dff62f.jpg

Latest posts

Back