Tech Question ?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it only common with English bikes...or is it common with others?

When I took a head set appart the bearings where just floating freely around in grease.They where not in a cased together bearing unit.The little buggers fly everywhere if your not carefull.

Can I expect to see this in the bottom bracket if I remove the cranks and chainring?

what a pain in the ....!
Thanks,
Kev.

I not 100% sure but I have found it more a case of the age of the bike, english or u.s. built. :)

Clothespin "n" said:
Is it only common with English bikes...or is it common with others?

When I took a head set appart the bearings where just floating freely around in grease.They where not in a cased together bearing unit.The little buggers fly everywhere if your not carefull.

Can I expect to see this in the bottom bracket if I remove the cranks and chainring?

what a pain in the ....!
Thanks,
Kev.

I try to use loose bearings whenever I redo bearings, if possible.

so..call me a dumb .......
I am going to scoop em all out...wash em up in some solvent...re-pack the seat with a good water-proof white grease..

sound right..this will be the first one I have re-done.
how carefully do I have to reposition the bearings?

Thanks,
Kev.

If you find loose balls in the headset you will probably find them in the BB. Yes, clean them up and reuse them if they are shinny. If they are dull or have patches of discoloration on them, it's time for new ones, whether caged or not. http://www.loosescrews.com has a good deal on an assortment of bearing sizes. Personally I use Phil Wood green bicycle grease. It's supposed to be waterproof and I've found it will last a long time and holds up well under my hard riding. Good luck.

Back