Tarcktastica

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started building this tarck (track bike not ridden on track) frame last week. It's double butted 531 with a 58cm ST-CTT and a 60cmTT-CTC, hopefully I can get the seat stays brazed on tonight.

100_7951.jpg

Cool! So you use bronze/phosphor brazing rod? Or something like "SafetySilv" (silver solder)?

Exactly, I used SafetySilv 56 from Radnor. It flows really nice and you can use a MAPP gas instead of an OA torch (it's almost overkill using an OA torch).

bicycleguy said:
Exactly, I used SafetySilv 56 from Radnor. It flows really nice and you can use a MAPP gas instead of an OA torch (it's almost overkill using an OA torch).
Nice...We use that at work all the time, so I'm familiar with it. Thanks for the tip. Keep up the good work!! :mrgreen:

Ok I'm dying to ask this question ,and I dont want it taken the wrong way. When you build a road type bike ,and you use lugs that have set angles which would make your tube lengths the same for that given set of lugs . Does it not always turn out the same? I know the parts to build one are all expensive....lugs...tubing and stuff. What is the reason behind doing one. Is it the pride in building it yourself or can you put better stuff in it and come out with a better frame than you can buy? Thanks

You can mix and match tube types, wall thickness and butting to make the frame you want. Most lugs usually can be moved around a little to give you the exact geometry you want, the ones I used could be adjusted about +1/-1 degree and I made it tighter since it's a tarck frame. For how much you pay in materials you can save $100's building it yourself instead buying a production track frame like an EAI or Pake.

I figured that was the reason. We are miles apart on bike types , but I do appreciate the amount of work you have put into your frame. Its going to turn out nice,and I know you will be as proud as I am with what I build. Good job.

I got some drivetrain parts. BSC threaded TDC cog so I can use it on modern track hubs like Phils or Forumlas, a decent diamond chain and a Schwinn sweet heart. It should be geared pretty hoss with that 8-26 setup.
100_7958.jpg

Latest posts

Back