Tanklight buildoff!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I need to get back into this, just cought up with everything you have done 1hp and your build is coming out awesome. Sadly my budget is super thin right now so for my build I'm really gonna have to dig into the parts stash and maybe tear down one of my other projects. I can't get ahold of the CWC springer I really wanted so I'm gonna have to use the dual spring monark springer I've already got. Just got my repop lenses today so I can finally start on the redo of this monster. Might I suggest something for your color schemes since this is a more muscular build. Spend some time perusing the muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70s. Use of flat black for hoods and truck lids was comon. Look at mopars high impact colors and fords grabber colors. GM only really had hugger orange. My fav was always 71-73 mach 1 mustangs in grabber lime.

like this ? :wink: i agree , the lime green is beautiful .. i think you made me change the paint job idea "Again" :lol:
real_time_SIMSCYCLE3D12_zpsa1ed506b.jpg

real_time_SIMSCYCLE3D11_zpsf5effd33.jpg

me to , iam very short on finances , iam a full time student ... you know :? thats why there is not much done except the tank yet.
iam glad you are joining :) there is no time line really ,so i take my time anyways

LukeTheJoker said:
Wow! :shock: That one stands out 1HP! :mrgreen:

Luke.
:mrgreen: thank's

this morning i got to little bike shop on the other end of town that have all sorts of vintage parts and wacky bikes ... came back with 2 front wheels and a fat front fender :)
i don't know yet if i will lace the rims front/back or make a dually back wheel and find a front other rim with the same profile ..
i did a little blacksmithing on the front fender to remove the narrowed parts ,and cut it to fit as a rear fender, i really like the unusual profile of it , kinda fit with the curves of the tank a little.. also thinking the bike looks better without the "chainguard/faux exaust pipe" i made earlier
DSCN5066_zps43a9f36a.jpg

DSCN5068_zps3150581e.jpg

DSCN5069_zps3d6c8d21.jpg

DSCN5070_zps64f2d0c1.jpg

want to change the current rims , cause they are not even chrome compared to the other ones , they are more like scrached chrome or polished steel

1HP that lime paintjob is really kickin! Just keep playin till you find something that blows you mind. I'm still trying to decide on a paint scheme for the fire arrow. I cant go as wild as you did because the fire arrow is more like a cadillac than a muscle car. So I may go black with lots of chrome. I'm still looking in a vintage scrap yard I know of for the right trim peices. Mainly a tail light setup from a 1950 olds 88 that with some work I would hope I could make into a tailight that flows into the fender. I must say that you bondo/glass work on that tank is amazing and I think I'm gonna have to build a tank in the future now. Keep up the good work!

thank's firearrow

i did the "front of the tank" mount ,now have to do the back attachement , will use a bolt and threaded thing at the back like my initial idea
in the mean time , i started making a dually back rim with the 2 cheap front i bought , i tried using "drying roap" clamps to join them , but i was not strong enough so i start over using bolts (no welder) unfortunatly ..
i did a test , using 2 tubes in 1 tire , and it work pretty good , it even give the tire a more squarish profile
ill post a link for the process on the dually soon

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking forward to seeing your double rim come together!

Luke.
unfortunatly i also failed miserably on take 2 with bolts , since i have to cross lace it to be stronger and use the same spokes ,the rims it self has to be strong or else it bend like crazy when adding tension ..
so its basically 30$ and 3 days to the garbage :x who risk nothing get nothing , well this time i was defeated :cry:
i just laced back the normal rim and it will do the job for now
the tank is completely mounted and wired ,and i drilled the front sprocket to instal the chrome sprocket guard , waiting for a Nice chain i ordered, and did not find a tires that come in 2.375front and 3"back
iam just to lazy right now to take/upload/post pictures , will do that tomorow :wink:

LukeTheJoker said:
Shame about the rim, but the bike is looking great! Love the exhaust pipe kickstand!

Luke.
thanks! the pipe will be flat black and mostly wrap in black exaust tape or something similar

FINALY set my mind on the paint job "officially" Satin Black all the way!! 8) decided to go simple on the paint and do justice to this unique frame (to my knowledge) will try to match the patina on the emblem by making a brass outline with a "metallic/goldish brown" inside the letters
real_time_SIMSCYCLE3DCentrixgraphicBLACK2_zps89ca28ed.jpg

real_time_SIMSCYCLE3DCentrixgraphicBLACK3_zps1924d4e1.jpg

P1010119.jpg

just for teasing , i got my dually welded :p will post pics when its laced
i have to say a 2,5" wide chrome rim is sexy!

Here is the dually :mrgreen:
DSCN5083_zpsc7501b72.jpg

DSCN5087_zps5ae0d95f.jpg

DSCN5084_zps27cf40d3.jpg

DSCN5086_zpse40ce2c2.jpg

sadly i broke a spoke in the process ..no big deel tho
the rims were welded , i put silicone in the gap inbetween , and added a polished stainless 3/16" rod bent in a ring to close the "V"gap inbetween ,blocked the extras holes with metalic duck tape and cut a 24" inner tube to make a wide rim strip that cover both sides at once , the rim is 2,5"wide and i used 2 inner tubes inside a 2,125 tire
i also poished the (kickstand/faux exaust) and had time at school to lathe 3 (faux bullet) valve caps in aluminum :p

LukeTheJoker said:
Very nice work! Will you be adding this rim to your wide rim "how to"?

Luke.
Thanks luke! Done :wink:

Sadly I've got to pull out of this build, I just can't make the time,money, and parts come together to do this bike the way I want to. I will go back to doing a stock resto on it again. Gotta find few really hard to come by parts first though.

Latest posts

Back