Tankless. 1935 Aerocycle build... sort of

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This is going to be a slow build, but I'm excited about it so I'm going to start a thread.

I picked up this bike yesterday for super cheap. I thought it was weird and interesting, sometimes a bike speaks to you. It felt like it had a long and hard life. It had been yard art and I felt kind of bad for it. I started looking around the web and it turns out to be an aerocycle frame. The guys on the cabe thought it to be a 1935. Now, the odds of me ever finding a tank or other parts is basically zero, so I figured why not have fun and do a build on it. I feel like this bike deserves to be ridden again. I won't modify the frame at all, and probably the first order of business will be to straighten it and try to clean up the messy weld at the seat tube. I'm going to try to see if there is any original paint under the spray paint, but it looks mostly gone. Also the crank has had both pedals welded on and the one that's on there is going to take some grinding and cutting to get off. I have some fun ideas for this one!
camel4.jpg
camel1.jpg
camel2.jpg

Attachments

• camel3.jpg
    camel3.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 113
I got this bike broken down. I had to cut the pedal off. I don't know that the cranks can be saved. Pedals have been welded on both sides. The crank was stamped '36.

camel9-jpg.880624

camel7-jpg.880622

There is a small amount of original maroon paint. Most of it is gone, and the spray paint is not coming off easily. You can still see a bit of the diamond on the seat tube and that's the largest part of original paint that I have found.

camel5-jpg.880620

The seat tube and top bar have been brazed and the chain stays have been smashed a bit.

camel6-jpg.880621

camel8-jpg.880623

Latest posts

Back