Taming The Beast - New Beast VS...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Taming The Beast - Fat Tire Fun

Thanks for that video!!! Great stuff. I got a kick out of trying to start it across the loose sand.

Cool ride demo. You need to take it out the new Air Cap Park trail.

nice video! i was hoping to see the deep water crossing on a blooper reel at the end. :)

on the sand, starting out is awkward because the bb is so far forward in the wheelbase. you can see how your front tire sinks faster than the rear. even on a normal mtb, i have to get my weight way back to get going and stay going in sand. the geometry on the beast isn't in your favor.

it might do better in the sand with lower tire pressure, and also might ride smoother on the bumpy parts of the singletrack. at least that is what the interwebs say about fat bikes.

anyway, fun video, and thanks for posting. Oh, and there is something just wrong about having cactus and ice storms in the same place. ;)

You're right, 20 teeth isn't quite low enough for offroad. the 22 tooth sprocket is good off road, but it's way too slow on the road. I was pedaling like a madman and only doing 11 mph, according to the radar speed check.

Thanks for the comments all.

Steve, gears yes, fenders idk... thing weighs enough already. I'd like to see one with fenders.
CCR the water crossing is my little secret for now. Maybe I'll put out another video with the "rest of the story" some other time.
OneHorsePower, I should have brought a rope and tossed it in river to see how well it floated.
Ed I may do that once the trail there dries out.
Wildcat yeah I'm debating whether to swap the 20 for a 22 or not. It's about right as it is now on pavement. I really don't now where I'll be riding it in the future.

What an awesome video - great job!
And something I really like about these goofy bikes, but didn't really expect - we're all actually riding them! :mrgreen:

I'm still waiting on someone to lace in a stingray rear hub with a 5 speed cluster, weld on some brake mounts for linear pull brakes, make a fat suspension fork, and klunker it to death. :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
I'm still waiting on someone to lace in a stingray rear hub with a 5 speed cluster, weld on some brake mounts for linear pull brakes, make a fat suspension fork, and klunker it to death. :mrgreen:
:idea:

Re: Taming The Beast - 3rd Video In Beast Series

New Beast video. Riding singletrack at a new mtb park in town...

The beginning of the video when I'm labeling the bike is in response to a comment my first Beast video received on youtube
In the short time that first Beast video has been up it is one of my most watched videos ever and has received more comments than any other video I've ever put up. Interesting.

P1130053.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Taming The Beast - 3rd Video In Beast Series

Randy, think I've said this before, but I really like your videos, great music choice too!
(if you do get a GoPro get a chesty harness mount with it. ((i need one)) - helmet mount really gets shakey and you never realize how much your head darts left and right while you are riding, which stabilization can't fix)
Keep up the great stuff!!!

Re: Taming The Beast - 4th Video In Beast Series

Thanks guys!

4th beast video...

Riding today on an old unimproved railroad bed 15 miles. The Beast handled the big rock ballast no problem.
Yesterday I painted the rims. Maybe the bike next. I don't know.
P1130772.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back