Tall Bikes,lets see'em!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad I found this thread, it gave me the motivation needed to build me a safe tall bike.

I had another thread where I was building a tall bike and came up with a "tire gear" bike with 3 stacked 26" wheels using friction to drive each other. On test drive #1 I made it about 3 or 3 feet and fell hard, still have some medication I'm using from it. About a week later I got back on the bike with a helmet and a friend holding me and mentally I could not let him let go, this bike was spooky.

Before I scrapped it I decided to try some tall bikes were built by the grandfather of some of my students. I rode a couple of them successfully, but they were spooky too, with only elongated seat posts and stems I couldn't get a feel for steering with my whole body. I could ride it, but wanted something I would be comfortable on for the upcoming Christmas parade.

I studied photos on this thread last friday (dec 3rd) with the parade coming on sunday (dec 5th) I decided to build something else.

Saturday after a day of shopping with my wife and kids we came home to it snowing at about 4pm, I went out back and cut up the first bike to make a "traditional" tall bike. By 6:30pm I was inside after a successful test ride. Then I quickly painted it and added a brake (good thinking). The parade was a success, no incidents on the bikes, it was a blast. I am now considering a triple frame tall bike, same basic design, but the double frame with get some additional welding and a new paint job and become a daily rider.

Here's the danger bike, now just cut up parts:
taller2.jpg

One of the church member's tall bikes getting painted for the parade:
tall3.jpg

Another of his bikes getting ready for paint:
tall2.jpg

And another, all of them ride spooky:
tall1.jpg

This is parade day, with my bike being dwarfed by the two tallest bikes, but mine was the fastest and most manueverable:
tallparade.jpg

bikejunkie said:
Man I want to ride in that parade!!!!

It was a lot of fun, Kyle is a senior in high school, he rode the tallest bike and has been riding it for years, his grandad built them and use to ride them around town and some days to work just for fun. He's never fallen from the tallest bike, and I prayed for him all through the parade, he is very comfortable on it, but you can tell he is very careful. At one point a kid riding with us on a trike started throwing out candy and kids were running out in front of the tall bikes. That was scary. His dad rode a tandem with his mom and was there as support because the tall bikes need someone holding them to get on and off.

Hopefully I can be taller next year.

Thank you,Graylock,fot vote on this tall bike---it was built from an schwinn exerzise bike and a 30s? parts bike--rides good as the seat does set a bit forward of the rear wheel.Wheel base is a bit short but still handels OK---sam

Here's some photos that have been posted on Facebook from the parade, if I find one of Kyle on the tallest bike I'll post it, you can see my simple tall bike in all 3 of these.

parade1.jpg

parade2.jpg

parade3.jpg

dont smile, you might look happy with your bike. :lol: :p

Hoeha said:
Great tallbikes guys! I can never watch pictures like these and not have a smile on my face.

I've built a couple too that i used to ride to work (4miles) via some tunnels and trafficlights. Always cool to take someone over on of these babies.

PICT3036.jpg

20062010505.jpg

PICT3038-1.jpg

PICT3039-1.jpg

PICT3041-1.jpg

O, and they are no weld bikes too!

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread until today!
Here are most of the tall bikes I've built.
The first tall bike I ever built. 20" springer front end, no welding.
TallBike009.jpg

Another one w/ no welding. I called it a double bottom triple stack. Stolen 2 years ago on 4th of July. :x
TallbikeIII006.jpg

Here's one that I built for my neighbor at the time. A canti-quad or a double bottom triple stack. He still has it and rides it every once in a while.
CantiQuad003.jpg

This one is very similar to the tilt up tallbikes that appear earlier in this thread. It is my new favorite design & I have built three of these to date. This one was stolen & recovered a while back, thanks to the help of Craigslist and a very good Samaritan!!
004-1.jpg

My current daily rider.
007.jpg

This one I built for a bike competition on here. It is a pixie tall bike and has training wheels that allow my 4 year old to ride it. Although we've only let him ride it once & we didn't let go of the sissy bar the entire time. :wink:
021.jpg

I've built a couple others along the way, but they didn't hang around for long, because of one reason or another...
I LOVE TALLBIKES!!

TommyTwoTime said:
Not yet. Everytime I video, its like jinxing myself. :oops:

This one looks like a simple enough build, but crazy as well, would be great for the Christmas parade. Trying to get together as many custom bikes as I can by then. I just wanna see you riding to know just how scared I should be.

Latest posts

Back