Swingbike Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a complete swingbike frame off E bay. I had another swingbike frame in the works but the lower frame had to be built from scratch. A friend of a friend was doing the welding job. We made some good progress on the upper frame but the lower frame is still in pieces and it has not been touched in a few years. My friend is in the process of getting married, getting his house fixed up to go on the market, etc, etc. So long story short my first swingbike project has been shelved.
So I find a complete swingbike frame on E bay for a good buy it now price so I jumped on it. I already have most of the parts to complete the bike so it should be a quick easy build. From what I saw in the pictures the bike will need a seat post then stripped, repainted and re assembled.
Well once I got the frame I found a problem. The lower frame threads are stripped. I planned to cut off a fork tube from a donor fork but the inside diameter is different. I did find a piece of tubing which will work but it is not threaded. I am off work Tuesday May 28 so this is the day I am going to try to get my new piece of tubing cut and threaded which will be the key to getting this bike back on the road. My friend will be able to make a seat post out of the stock I picked up at Menards. It will be a pretty simple task.
I have a bunch of parts coming in the mail. I purchased a kickstand, new headset and a gooseneck wedge to use on the seat post.
I just got my new decals and hand grips.
The chain ring guard is in pretty rough shape but I think I can straighten it a little then paint it black.
The bike will be yellow when it is all done.
Here are some pictures of what I have started with and how it looks as of today May 24.
How I received the bike from E bay.

Here it is today after a complete disassemble.

Here's the lower frame thread damage.

Here are a bunch of NOS and slightly used parts I have accumulated over the years.

Re: Swingbike

Looks like your off to a good start with that parts stash!

Building a Swingbike is on my to do list, and after showing my 8yr old some video the other night he's game to ride one so could be a good winter project.

Good luck with your project!

Cool bike and parts.
I bet you are gonna have fun with this build!

Making a little progress on this bike. I have the upper frame stripped, sanded and primed. Getting ready to apply first layer of color in a little while. Just waiting on the primer to dry.
I also ordered the rest of the parts I should need to complete the build.
I am headed to the machine shop tomorrow to see if I can get a new tube cut and threaded for the rear head tube which is stripped.

Got some color on it. Turned out pretty nice for a rattle can paint job. Looked even better before I applied the clear. I got a couple small runs but they might sand and buff out.

cool bike, weird frame :lol: looks like fun!

Troy

Awesome !!! I've a SB project on the back burner too, loving the yellow !!! You should be able to chase those threads with no problem if they are bothering you.

I got some more parts in the mail today. I also got a piece if tubing cut for the head tube. It's at the machine shop now waiting to be threaded.
I also stripped the yellow paint back off and re primed the upper bars. Once the primer is good and dry I will add a layer of yellow. I will not be clear coating it this time. I was really ticked because this was the best paint job I have ever done. The paint was smooth with no orange peel or runs til I added the clear. Won't make that's mistake again.

I got my new tube back from the machine shop today. Cost me $5 for the tubing $60 to have threads cut on it. Ouch! I had no idea how much it would cost. Oh well it had to be done.
I also got a really nice looking repaint on the upper bars. I got my new headsets in also.
Front fork has paint stripper on it now. I will try to get it painted tonight.
Here are some pics.

I got some more work done on the bike last night. I got the fork painted and the head badge installed. The head badge on this bike looked bad so I pulled the one off my orange swingbike to use on this bike. I am going to rob a few other parts off the orange one to finish this bike which looks way better.
Here's a closeup of the fork before the repaint.

Nanner yellow is such a perfect color for a swinger.
Looking sharp!

I got a little more done on the swingbike. I have run into a few problems. First problem is that the front wheel does not fit the fork. It is too wide and the axle is too big. I found a wheel online which has the right size axle but I am awaiting a response from the seller to see what size fork it fits. Hopefully it will fit my 3.5" wide fork. Problem #2. I thought I had a complete headset for the fork and the rear triangle but I can't find part of the headset. I had to take the rear headset back off to install the fork. So I had to get back on porkchop bmx to order another headset. Not that I got this ordered I am sure I will find the missing parts from mine.
Problem #3. My NOS yellow mushroom grips I ordered off ebay did not match. One measured 1" the other measured 7/8". the seller had two sets for sale so hopefully he just got them mixed up and will hopefully be able to switch my 1" grip for the 7/8" one I need.
He only has like 3 feedbacks so hopefully this won't be a problem.
Final problem which will correct itself with time is that the paint is not curing completely. I know I have to be patient but patience is not my strong point.
Pictures are uploading as I type this.

Coming together nicely!

I'm kinda stuck on this bike build. I was hoping to have the new tubing welded in place so I can strip the rear triangle then paint and re assemble the bike. Well things are not going as planned. I thought this tubing was brazed over a stud which would require a hot torch to melt the brass so I could get the tubing off the stud. Well after cutting the tube and looking for brass I have come to the conclusion that the lower frame is welded not brazed. I can't get the tube off. I cleaned off the paint around the area I am working on and have seen no brass. I guess I will have to have this piece welded back up to add strength and just deal with the stripped threads. I hope the top nut of the headtube will be enough to keep this bike together. It should do the job but I would feel much more comfortable with having the new pipe welded on so I would have good threads. Anyone who wishes to offer advice please do.
Here are some pictures of what I am working on.

Take another fork with correct diameter neck and thread that is longer then the one you are cutting off. slide a piece of snug fitting solid stock into the neck stub of the fork measure and trim the new neck a 1/4 inch shorter then what you need your finished fork length to be at slide it on to the solid stock leaving a 1/4 inch gap between old stem and new stem. Next clamp the neck into a piece of angle iron to hold it strait and true then weld the 3 pieces together on the open side once cooled remove the angle iron check that the stem is strait and finish welding the pieces together grind the weld flush. Hopes this helps

Troy

Latest posts

Back