Sweet Fancy Moses (Some bike work and another sidetrack!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sweet Fancy Moses

Might need a wider wheel hub (front). Even with the washers up at the top, you might be squeezing the fork tubes to much at the axle.

Mourning RU Slammed...Me too! :lol:

Bike looks great so far! :wink: Are those the handlebars staying on, if so, they look awesome :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Are those the handlebars staying on

That's the plan for now!

I finished sandblasting the skirts and fender.
P5030106.jpg

A few places on the chain guard side had some pitting, here is some pitting in the skirt:
P5030107.jpg

Pitting on the chain guard.
P5030108.jpg

Time for some primer.
P5030110.jpg

Before primer.
P5030113.jpg

After primer.
P5030115.jpg

Here is the primer I am using.
P5030116.jpg

I will haffta fix this tomorrow before primer.
P5030111.jpg

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Schwinn Springer Issues)

Looking great. Try adding some washers down at the axle inside the fork.

One of the biggest factors with schwinn type springers flexing side to side and rubbing is not having the pivot bolt tight enough.You can actually tighten them quite a bit and they will still function fine.I had this issue before-I left the pivot bolt kinda snug at best and It allowed too much motion side to side.
In your case I agree with the above,you will need to spread a bit,you wont be able to prevent such a tight amount of flex with that big tire.
Good luck and good building bro!

cman said:
Looking great. Try adding some washers down at the axle inside the fork.

deven_science said:
What I was going to say.

Xcruiser said:
One of the biggest factors with schwinn type springers flexing side to side and rubbing is not having the pivot bolt tight enough.You can actually tighten them quite a bit and they will still function fine.I had this issue before-I left the pivot bolt kinda snug at best and It allowed too much motion side to side.
In your case I agree with the above,you will need to spread a bit,you wont be able to prevent such a tight amount of flex with that big tire.
Good luck and good building bro!

Thanks guys I will defiantly try these fixes, I have no experience with a schwinn style springer so all your help is valued.

I have 2 different options that imma try tonight, I will post some pics and see what you guys think.

Nicely done with the spring spreader.. I have to ask this question.. Do Thick brick tires fit on any stock 26 inch frame bike ? That you can leave the fenders on & not have to modify the frame :?:

tin machine said:
awesome stuff looks great 8)

Thanks!

Color Flow chain guard.
P5030117.jpg

It's a little bigger than the one it came with.
P5030119.jpg

I am gonna haffta change where/how it mounts.
P5030118.jpg

Cut off the mount so I can determine proper placement.
P5030120.jpg

Rear rack in as-found condition.
P5030121.jpg

One side will need repair.
P5030122.jpg

Bottom view.
P5030123.jpg

Top view.
P5030124.jpg

After I applied some sand.
P5030126.jpg

Now to address the pitting, I applied some auto body putty.
P5030128.jpg

A thin layer to be wet sanded later.
P5030130.jpg

3M makes some good stuff
P5030131.jpg

ndaway said:
WOW you have done a lot of work in a short amount of time :shock: its going to be killer with those big tires and skirts

Thanks I think so too, the only bad thing is I told myself that I would be building a bike that didn't weigh as much as last years build.

Sand blasted a possible springer solution.
P5040164.jpg

Chrome was fubar so I decided to paint.
P5040165.jpg

Schwinn springer mock-up.
P5040174.jpg

Was gonna try a rat trap springer mock-up but these tires don't fit at all and I am not gonna hack this set up.
P5040175.jpg

Rear.
P5040178.jpg

Front, I still needa make the thing that is gonna attach the top of the springer since it did not come with it when I made the purchase.
P5040179.jpg

Here is a mock-up with the beehive springer.
P5040177.jpg

What are you guys thinking? I am still undecided.

Re: Sweet Fancy Moses (Mock-Up!!! I need some advice)

I'd say no matter what keep the wheels - if something doesn't fit the wheels try something different. That being said, I like the looks of the last mockup the best. Granted it looks like you swapped out a JC higgins frame for a Cantilever but to me that's what makes it look like a ratrod. You'll never see a cantilever anything close to what you are proposing unless it IS a RatRod. Have Fun!!! Robert

Peatbog said:
Pulse mode and double drive on your welder? Sweet Fancy Moses!

I am in love with your welder. Don't let me near it.

I love the welder, pulse mode is awesome it lets you weld hotter/deeper without the distortion and is also way cleaner. The only draw back is it sounds like you are a newbie welder, kinda a higher pitched fart noise a kid would make. Since it is a little hotter you also haffta use 90/10 Argon which is a little more expensive.

inshane64 said:
I have no idea how I am gonna attach the top of the springer to the bike...

Reinforced reflector brackets.

I Don't know.... I Love the beehive springer, BUT....
I almost think it's better with the Schwinn Springer....
The reason being, You're incorporating the old parts ( Colorflow Chainguard, rack, etc. ) with the Tiger frame and I think having the Beehive on the front and everything else on the back overwhelms the Tiger frame.... It could be any old frame in there amongst the parts....
Where as if you keep the Schwinn Springer it kind of balances out the Schwinn with the Skirts and all...Just my two cents... Regardless I'm totally digging this build... Just way Cool.
( As a side bar, If you're not using that Rat-Trap Springer Fork... I'd be interested in it if you are willing to part with it... Thanks )

I think you need a bracket this one:
DSCF3065.jpg

Mine is from an Elgin. It's a two bracket, kinda like a clam shell where you install the lower half, then the truss/springer piece, then a top piece. Put an ad in the Wanted section, I'm sure someone has one that they'd be willing to part with.

Here's a whole setup on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-CRUISER-...aultDomain_0&hash=item27c6a644e3#ht_500wt_969
$(KGrHqZ,!hcE9dy96vlTBPpI09Vi9Q~~60_1.JPG

Jump on it bro!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back