Survivor Imposter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Earlier this week I got it in my mind that I wanted to build a bike reminiscent of a survivor bike in the style of a klunker or home grown BMX. I pulled an old Schwinn frame and fork off the wall of my shop and decided to lose the stock fork and put a straight BMX style fork. I found one with the correct length for the head tube on a women's Caloi cruiser. It took 2 days of soaking in PB Blaster, heating with torch, hammering and destroying the stem, and twisting with a 4 foot cheater bar to get the stem out so I could release the fork from what had been a riding bike. Once off I stripped the paint and then did a faux patina paint job to match the Schwinn frame. I used the Schwinn fork bearing race and all other original Schwinn headset parts to mount the new fork, but had to add another washer and a spacer since I didn't want to cut the fork steer tube. Once the new fork was mounted, everything else was pretty simple. Just gathered parts from around the shop to put this together.
New: 1" headset spacer, Odyssey sealed bottom bracket, Kenda rim strips, front inner brake cable, out cable end, and cable end.

NOS: Wald stem, Wald seat post, and Schwinn chainwheel, Brooks saddle.

Used parts: Wheelset from a tandem, heavy gauge spokes, Bendix 70 rear coaster, unknown BMX alloy seatpost clamp, 175mm crank, white pedals, KMC Z chain, unknown old BMX bars, grips off an old Scwhinn Scrambler or something, white outer brake cable, unknown steel front brake caliper, Jamis brake lever, black dice rear valve cap, white front, old Kenda "all terrain" tires, tubes that were in the tires on some old Murray rims, and an old bandana handlebar pad my mother-in-law sewed for me years ago.

The bike rides great, smooth since I greased and adjusted all the bearings. I didn't need another bike and I kind of what to see if I can sell this.

da79850b75831a439a55b8a9e3c96578.jpg

f8ccbe9d29f85d690c07bb1c2c231a28.jpg

59382e01147c44198f654f09b9a19ead.jpg

e8fc7777f7ce48dbff5e5fd8d1ee5593.jpg

43585a3dc788efa66bb7e674c776b5f1.jpg

dfeaf8339411d66ec5fb7019972f1243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just always busy. Still messing with bikes, just not building much. Currently picked up some side work repairing adult trikes for a 1.3 million square foot distribution plant. Bring trikes home, fix them, take them back, get paid.

Warmer weather means more time outside working on bikes, when it's cold I don't do much outside unless I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interesting in seeing some industrial trikes :)

Latest posts

Back