Surly discontinued the black floyd!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up to everyone out there building bikes with fat tires. Surly discontinued the black Floyd and they are no longer available special order through QBP so there aren't many left out there. I gave them a call to ask why and they said the performance at lower pressures wasn't getting good reviews. I asked if this was on "performance" bikes and told them that the tires were quite popular in the custom cruiser world. I suggested limited runs and adding more colors like schwalbe does with their fat franks, maybe even white wall... If you missed your chance for one of these tires drop Surly a line and let them know how you feel.

Phone: 877.743.3191
Web: http://www.surlybikes.com
E-mail: [email protected]

I can't find a single store that still has them, it didn't take long for them to disappear. Too bad, they were the perfect monster bike tire. They were the only ones that didn't look "off road" :cry:

Dorian said:
I can't find a single store that still has them, it didn't take long for them to disappear. Too bad, they were the perfect monster bike tire. They were the only ones that didn't look "off road" :cry:

When my local bike shop said they were discontinued I got online and ordered the last 4 I could find... enough for 2 bikes but hopefully they bring them back!

pvwacko said:
When my local bike shop said they were discontinued I got online and ordered the last 4 I could find... enough for 2 bikes but hopefully they bring them back!

That is a lucky break, I would say you were lucky to find them. And if there are any more out there they will soon be snapped up by people who never thought they had to worry about availability.

Surly must have made this decision a while ago. And it sure didn't take long for the limited stock to disappear. The "Black Floyd" seemed to be the odd man out, as all the other tires in the 26x4 size range seem totally off road style. A lot of people are into the all terrain fat bikes and maybe the Floyd street tread just didn't have the sales. Seems like its only been around for 2 years? Where the "Thick Bricks" in 24x3 seem to have been around forever. I can't think of a better 26" street tread than the Floyd had.

I guess it remains to be seen whether Surly or other brands will see a need to produce another street tread in this size. The super wide street tires in both 24 and 26 may eventually disappear, and everything will go back to the classic 2.125 tire size again. I guess its good to see things like these tires as having a limited time availability, and to get them while their hot. We can make frames forks and even seats, but when it comes to tires we are at the mercy of suppliers. And what they see as vital is not always going to be what we want to see happening :( .

I think the wide rims will be available for quite a while at least.

RIP Floyd :(

The 2 currently available Black Floyd tires are being replaced with 1 new Black Floyd tire of slightly different specifications. :wink:

Latest posts

Back