Surge in Bike Sales

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our former members, ScottyBravo, had his biggest day ever yesterday at Arizona Wholesale Bikes! 30 bikes sold out of his little shop in Gilbert, AZ! I helped build bikes with Scotty for a couple weeks before I headed back north to Minnesota. We could barely keep up.

Our shops here in Minnesota are deemed essential business as well, and we are going gangbusters with sales and service; even with the restricting protocols we have in place. One customer/ family in the store per sales person, and all repairs are a curbside drop off, washed before they enter the store, and many web sales and over the phone payments. The phone rang constantly yesterday on my first day back in action!

That probably means the used market will saturated with nice, lightly used bikes in the next 4-6 months.

I've noticed while out riding lately there seems to always be someone assembling a new bike(s) in a garage, or empty Huffy and big box stores bike boxes out at the trash. That's a good sign

Fun hobby
Healthy
Economic spending

I commented to my wife that maybe some good can come out of all this. Maybe some people will find a new hobby or passion, or become more health conscious, or just learn to have less screen time and more together time. Small silver lining

If more people saw that bikes can be more than box store junk, uninspiring generalist bikes, or expensive full on racing or mountain bikes, the possibilities for creativity and how much cheaper and easier to store they are than cars might keep their interest after this pandemic eases.

I've noticed while out riding lately there seems to always be someone assembling a new bike(s) in a garage, or empty Huffy and big box stores bike boxes out at the trash. That's a good sign

Fun hobby
Healthy
Economic spending

I commented to my wife that maybe some good can come out of all this. Maybe some people will find a new hobby or passion, or become more health conscious, or just learn to have less screen time and more together time. Small silver lining
Now that you mention it, I've noticed more people, even whole families out on bikes. Some were probably taken out of moth balls and put back in service. Nice to see.

My garage shop has been bustling with tune-ups via word of mouth. It's helping me make ends meet while out of work. Again, being "that guy" pays off. I took a bit of a pause from the garage the past few days due to the weather and to work on restoring some parts indoors and finish the 26" BMX, but it's above 50f out there now and time to get back to it.

This could see American made bikes take off!

1587330908005.png

One of our former members, ScottyBravo, had his biggest day ever yesterday at Arizona Wholesale Bikes! 30 bikes sold out of his little shop in Gilbert, AZ! I helped build bikes with Scotty for a couple weeks before I headed back north to Minnesota. We could barely keep up.

Our shops here in Minnesota are deemed essential business as well, and we are going gangbusters with sales and service; even with the restricting protocols we have in place. One customer/ family in the store per sales person, and all repairs are a curbside drop off, washed before they enter the store, and many web sales and over the phone payments. The phone rang constantly yesterday on my first day back in action!
Probably stimulus checks didn't hurt . Good for him .

I’ve somehow managed to sell 4 bikes in the past 2 weeks and in some cases had multiple people trying to buy the same bike. I’ve done bike repairs and gotten paid for it, have 2 ready in the shop for pickup today and a guy brought me his childhood GT for me to rebuild for his son.

Careful, some of you are about to have a stroke...

I warned you...

dade1b1ad278fa33830c440b4fd5ae37.jpg

It was brought to me assembled and complete, I disassembled while I was talking to the guy just to make sure nothing was stuck and then gave him the bars so he can see if anyone can color match paint or powder coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LBS here has been swamped despite only being able to have three customers in the store at a time.

I loaned a couple of bikes to my neighbor. Hopefully, they'll discover the joy of biking and become "one of us"

I hope this can be one of those good things that comes from all this.
Is Hawley's still there? I spent about 10 years collectively in your area, left in 1995.

Now that it's warmed up again, bikes everywhere around here. One of the tuneups on my list is going to be a neighbor's loaner for visitors.

It seems to already be doing good in this realm.

Thompson's grips sales are doing better than usual. Which is good since I'm probably getting laid off at the end of this week.

If more people saw that bikes can be more than box store junk, uninspiring generalist bikes, or expensive full on racing or mountain bikes, the possibilities for creativity and how much cheaper and easier to store they are than cars might keep their interest after this pandemic eases.
I've been feeding that notion in my 'hood for the past eight years, aided initially by volunteering at a co-op before it folded. I've managed to complete dozens of restos and custom restos to meet riders' needs and see my bikes out and about often for both recreation and utilitarian purposes.

Is Hawley's still there? I spent about 10 years collectively in your area, left in 1995.

Now that it's warmed up again, bikes everywhere around here. One of the tuneups on my list is going to be a neighbor's loaner for visitors.

It seems to already be doing good in this realm.

Yep, I was actually talking about Hawleys.

Army? That's how I got here.

Latest posts

Back