Super Cruiser Restomod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This build will probably stay here.
Evolution Flyer will be moved to the build thread. I'll get back to work on it after this is finished, then I can also finish Mercury Rising... One day I might even finish Rebels Cause, who knows.

My hobbies are changing to home built boats and primitive weapons and archery, might be a while for two of those bikes. But still planning to finish the hubless build by spring.
You would have loved a booth I visited at one of our neighborhood art fairs last week. Dude was fashioning his own bows; straight and recurved, even a couple cross bows. And not polished show room quality, primitive but functional and great feng shui.

Need a little help from the wheel builders as I've never done this before.

What pattern is this?
8640c0651a35b962b1a9b53282e93f98.jpg

Little hard to tell from that top down angle, but I'd say 3 cross. Pick a button end of a spoke. As it leaves the hub, it crosses one spoke right away, then a second spoke about a 1/2" off the hub flange, and then a 3rd spoke a couple of inches from the hub.

I've already disassembled and painted it, but I'll figure it out.

Ran out of the brass paint and short on red, so I'm done for today. Gonna put some decals on my car, then find something to eat.

Pretty common on vintage factory wheels. Seen a few like that. Should be over 2 and under the third.

Pretty common on vintage factory wheels. Seen a few like that. Should be over 2 and under the third.
And that first 'over' is mostly hidden by the flange. I will have to look at vintage wheels more closely, never noticed this before until my beer-themed-thesbian posted this pic.

I have no idea what any of that means, but I have to learn sometime. Really hoping to finish this by mid month.

Search youtube and you'll find a lot of wheelbuilding vids. Once you find one you like, just play pause rewind play pause, etc etc as you build your wheel,

Search youtube and you'll find a lot of wheelbuilding vids. Once you find one you like, just play pause rewind play pause, etc etc as you build your wheel,
That's what I figured I'd do, I've watched a couple to get the idea.
I'll take spokes in to be cut today, then get back to work on paint.

Probably won't be able to get to the wheels til the weekend.

Bit of a catastrophe with the fenders today.
I had the front hanging from the garage door rails to paint it, I forgot it was on the rail when I shut the door to go in for lunch.

So now I have to start all over again.
02bd0c52d86242b33f6a48f980c67e09.jpg
733d82e212c6b8ca0775a281b8d05dba.jpg

Just tell him: "Somebody had to put the first scratch on it. I saved you the trouble."

Nice job on the wheel....I can't do it.

Just tell him: "Somebody had to put the first scratch on it. I saved you the trouble."

Nice job on the wheel....I can't do it.
He saw it happen and laughed a bit, I can't repeat my reaction.:mad:

Turns out building isn't difficult at all, but now I have to true them.:headbang:

Wheel looks good. Bummer deal on the fenders. Sanded through a chain guard decal today myself. I feel your pain.

Wheel looks good. Bummer deal on the fenders. Sanded through a chain guard decal today myself. I feel your pain.
Thanks.
Any tips for truing the wheels? I assume I leave the spokes loose and tighten a little at a time, haven't seen any good videos.

Thanks.
Any tips for truing the wheels? I assume I leave the spokes loose and tighten a little at a time, haven't seen any good videos.

Look at how much thread is left on the spoke or how close it is to coming through the nipple and get them snugged down evenly. Then spin it in something and start getting it straight if it needs it then tighten everything evenly until you get it "fairly tight". Have you ever trued a wheel? Might take some practice but it's enjoyable work. Make it a sit down job if you can.

Look at how much thread is left on the spoke or how close it is to coming through the nipple and get them snugged down evenly. Then spin it in something and start getting it straight if it needs it then tighten everything evenly until you get it "fairly tight". Have you ever trued a wheel? Might take some practice but it's enjoyable work. Make it a sit down job if you can.
Never trued a wheel, this is my first attempt at building and truing.

Wheels are being outsourced for truing, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Latest posts

Back