Super Collegiate...Finally Finalized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the new tires yesterday but only had time for a quick sniff. Will probably slap them on this afternoon when I get home from work.

gw1.jpg

Sides are nice light tan. Hopefully they go well with the faded Kool Lemon paint.

Got the next 6 days off so should be able to get some pics and wrap this up. Also look forward to getting caught up on all the rest of the goings on around here.

Getter Done hope I will see you at the finish line [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The folded up tires took a little bit of wrestling to get on the rims and get the tube in there.

gw4.jpg

The tires are nice and smooth at 110 psi. The Continental tires were much more jiggley at that pressure. These are super smooth rollers even on bumpy pavement and sidewalks.

Took her out for a quick ride and snapped a couple photos. Need to figure out the time for the best light but this could be a decent spot.

gw6.jpg

gw5.jpg

gw7.jpg

gw8.jpg

gw9.jpg

One other thing I had as a possibility was putting the Collegiate chainguard decal I have on the down tube..:39:...or possibly just the regular Schwinn one that should be there.

Last edited:
The folded up tires took a little bit of wrestling to get on the rims and get the tube in there.

View attachment 57365

The tires are nice and smooth at 110 psi. The Continental tires were much more jiggley at that pressure. These are super smooth rollers even on bumpy pavement and sidewalks.

Took her out for a quick ride and snapped a couple photos. Need to figure out the time for the best light but this could be a decent spot.

View attachment 57368

View attachment 57369

View attachment 57370

View attachment 57371

View attachment 57372

One other thing I had as a possibility was putting the Collegiate chainguard decal I have on the down tube..:39:...or possibly just the regular Schwinn one that should be there.
Those tires look good on there. [emoji106]

I'd think The schwinn Chicago decal would look right if you went that way

Imo Best times for yellow would be 30 minutes before and up to sunset, or up to 30 minutes after sunrise.

Building..... Riding.....

Those tires look great on there! Nice choice. Sorry, I forgot to mention that certain brands of road tires are tough to fit on the Bontrager rims. We have had many 'wresting matches' in the shop in days gone by! :bigsmile:

You've got the right idea on the pics. What about using one like this, with the bike on the paved trail instead, and way over on the farthest edge (close to the grass, with the kickstand on a flat piece of stone / wood actually in the grass). That way, the path would show up in the foreground of the pic, but you would have the green grass background showing behind the bike for the color you want?
chadt.jpg

A ways back you also had a concrete wall setting that I also liked.

Bike turned out super cool! :thumbsup:

...oh, and yeah, a Schwinn decal of some sort on there would be cool!

Imo Best times for yellow would be 30 minutes before and up to sunset, or up to 30 minutes after sunrise.

Building..... Riding.....

Thank you metalchewy....I was real close last night but you're right it's gotta be in that just right window.

the paved trail instead, and way over on the farthest edge (close to the grass, with the kickstand on a flat piece of stone / wood actually in the grass). That way, the path would show up in the foreground of the pic, but you would have the green grass background showing behind the bike for the color you want?

A ways back you also had a concrete wall setting that I also liked.

Bike turned out super cool! :thumbsup:

Thank you OJ! That park just has little ribbons of light running through it close to dusk but I think there is a spot where I could do that. Trying to get light on the bike with a shaded grass background. We'll see. I'll try a pic by the wall too.

Did some fiddling with the fenders today and had the kid take a vid of me on the bike.

Just a leisurely cruse down the block.

Put the chain guard decal on the down tube. Couple more pic attempts. I wanna try that spot in the morning. I think I've had better luck there in the morning.

gw10.jpg

gw12.jpg

gw11.jpg

Think I just needed a little wider piece of shade...

Last edited:
That last one is cool with the long shadows. Maybe just crop the trees out of the top and the upper right corner. I like the wheel shadows that you can see behind the bike.

...and that video is SWEET! Love the background music and you speeding around with the shades on. There's only one emoji that fits this:
:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

I just read this line again, "Think I just needed a little wider piece of shade.." but I read it like this:

'Think I just needed a little whiter shade of pale'.

Guess I heard one too many '70s rock tunes from one of my favorite 'up north' bands, The Big Bamboo, yesterday.

Thank you fellas so much!!

We knew it was going to be fast...and cool.

STOP sign :rolleyes:
Hey mister! You just totally blew off that STOP sign on your totally wicked sweet yellow bike!

:21::21:...I actually went down the sidewalk in the part of the vid with the stop sign in it so technically I didn't run it on camera. On the second time around the corner I had the camera man wave me out when it was clear...:21::21:

Could have probably broken the speed limit too but I had to save myself for the multiple takes.

I just read this line again, "Think I just needed a little wider piece of shade.." but I read it like this:

'Think I just needed a little whiter shade of pale'.

I actually thought that same thing which made me think of you when i wrote that. Great solo in that vid. That guy has some nice chops!

Thank you and @The Renaissance Man for the photo guidance. Wasn't sure about that pic because the outer edges of the rims are so bright in the sun.

Here's another in that spot in the morning light.

gw14.jpg

gw15.jpg

I may try a few more but looks like I've got a couple usable options and can get a finished thread up soon. Might try to do a parts list and some detail shots tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for playing along and all the encouragement. Always a great time.

Thank you fellas so much!!

:21::21:...I actually went down the sidewalk in the part of the vid with the stop sign in it so technically I didn't run it on camera. On the second time around the corner I had the camera man wave me out when it was clear...:21::21:

Could have probably broken the speed limit too but I had to save myself for the multiple takes.

I actually thought that same thing which made me think of you when i wrote that. Great solo in that vid. That guy has some nice chops!

Thank you and @The Renaissance Man for the photo guidance. Wasn't sure about that pic because the outer edges of the rims are so bright in the sun.

Here's another in that spot in the morning light.

View attachment 57538

View attachment 57539

I may try a few more but looks like I've got a couple usable options and can get a finished thread up soon. Might try to do a parts list and some detail shots tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for playing along and all the encouragement. Always a great time.
I do like that last pic of yours above the best. Bike looks great, and the rims show off their 'patina' better. And like TRM said, with the trees and the sun / shade line in the background, it gives it perspective. :thumbsup:

Thank you OJ...hope you like the pic I selected for the final thread http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/super-collegiate.104142/

gw16 (2).jpg

May have gotten carried away with the enhancements. Here's the original.

gw16.jpg

Wanted to re-take that shot as I remembered I used to set the timer so I'm not jiggling right when the pic is being taken. Was too hazy this morning but I did get a nice clear shot in the yard yesterday using this technique.

gw17.jpg

Kinda boring but shows the detail better. Back to work tomorrow...will have to look at the time the build off ends..next day off will be Monday the 7th so could possibly make another attempt....meh...maybe.

Will be interesting to see who all makes it to the done pile. Got some exciting and amazing builds in progress still.

I like the 'doctored up' final pic you posted on Finished Thread, the mood is cool, and the bike looks good.

Sweet build and great choice for final pic!
Congrats brother!

Latest posts

Back