Super Collegiate...Finally Finalized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks sharp. Really diggin it.

Building..... Riding.....
Looks clean..................and fast!

Thank you Fellas!!

You know what, it looks good up against that green grass background too. Especially with that clover mixed in. Better finish before that clover turns brown...:21:

I've hit pay dirt in that spot before with the pics. I'll def go for a few there and maybe try that wall again. Those are both good close spots.

Tore the hoops down Friday but not before the dog "hounded" me into taking him for a ride.

collegiate.jpg

He can really be a pest about getting a ride.

collegiate2.jpg

Ok back to the hoops.

hoops4.jpg

Only had a tiny bit of Easy Off and about a quarter of a can of some house brand oven cleaner. Wasn't enough to remove all of the anodizing.

Been toying with the idea of leaving some of the anodizing and polishing.

Wasn't feeling like lots of sanding or a trip to the store so decided to go for a ratty look and just lightly sand then steel wool and Mother's Polish.

hoops3.jpg

hoops2.jpg

Did this out of sheer laziness but it's kind of interesting. Hopefully goes with the faded beat up frame.

These are ready to put back on the bike. Just had to do some final tweaks to the front this morning.

hoops1.jpg

hoops.jpg

Haven't seen them on the bike yet. Hopefully they look "ratisfactory"..:)

Still need to do some fender tweaking and mount the front tire but she should be back on the road today.

Yes Chad! So you 'accidentally' found my secret to the rat-isfaction...laziness mixed in with an eye for that vintage look! Those rims are going to fit in great with that frame. Now, you may want to fatigue those bars and crank a bit, you know, just to fit in....:21:

...'my dog hounded me'....that one got me chuckling~!

[QUOTE="OddJob, post: 'secret to the rat-isfaction...laziness mixed in with an eye for that vintage look! "

The greatest signature line ! :113:

Now, you may want to fatigue those bars and crank a bit, you know, just to fit in....:21:

Might have to go with the path of least resistance on that..

...'my dog hounded me'....that one got me chuckling~!

They don't get that name for nothin'..:21:

couple pics with the rat-nodized hoops in place.

hoops7.jpg

hoops6.jpg

Last edited:
I was originally planning on putting gumwall tires on this. Was going to order some Schwalbe Luganos or Michelin Dynamic Classics (both cheap) but found this site about bicycle tire rolling resistance.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

It will cost a bit to get something as free rolling as the tires that are on it.

Hmmmm...:39:

Keep hearing this voice in my head...

gumwall.jpg

I hate to be the detractor here, but I know what you are capable of when it comes to polishing and I can imagine how it would look on this bike.
And believe me, it looks great in my mind's eye! Nothin' like rat paint and polished wheels!

Also, the grass background is perfect behind the bright yellow paint!:cool2:

Well, since you asked.
Here is the latest, greatest, hand built clincher tire with an ultra modern twist on the gumwall or fabric walled tire. It has 320 tpi (threads per inch) which is nearly 3 times the number found in a typical high end road tire. That equates to a flexibility and ride quality that is unrivaled.

(Do I sound like I still work for Trek bicycles yet?) :21:

They just came out this year. Couple of my lycra wearing road weenies are riding them, and they are raving about them.

So, will they give you the same benefit on a 50 yr old non chromoly framed steel steed? Maybe not. But you will seriously be the epitome of modern technology meets old school name-brand road cruiser!

trek R4 320tpi tire.jpg

Here's the link to the details...
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...r4-320-road-tire/p/12300/?colorCode=black_tan

I hate to be the detractor here, but I know what you are capable of when it comes to polishing and I can imagine how it would look on this bike.
And believe me, it looks great in my mind's eye! Nothin' like rat paint and polished wheels!

Also, the grass background is perfect behind the bright yellow paint!:cool2:
I see we agree on the aforementioned grass background.

Personally, I like the ratty rims that resulted kind of 'accidentally'. I would vote for the continued rat-ification of the fenders, bars, cranks to blend it all in together. But that's up to Chad.

The gum or fiber walled tires would definitely be more 'period correct' for the Schwinn, but it's not a restoration anyway so it could go either way.

I hate to be the detractor here, but I know what you are capable of when it comes to polishing

I'll do better next time...:21:...but I've been wanting to try this for a while. Would have needed some donor hoops. This bike is way to much fun to ride to have torn apart for very long.

I'm just glad I didn't get busted for the non-optimum fender stay angles..:D

Well, since you asked.
Here is the latest, greatest, hand built clincher tire with an ultra modern twist on the gumwall or fabric walled tire.

I saw those on that rolling resistance site. Little spendy but i like those. I'd think the low rolling resistance would def be felt on the old Schwinn. I actually weighed it before the fender install and it was 30.6 lbs. Not light but about 10 lbs lighter than an original Collegiate.

Couple candidates for the gumwalls

Vittoria Corsa G+
VTCROS-R1.jpg

Veloflex master.
Veloflex-3-e1349211981455.jpg

I'lll do some searching this weekend. Basically want the lowest rolling resistance I can afford..:nerd:

Check out these Clement Strada tires. I think I saw them on your 'rolling resistance' chart.

I like the darker shade of tan/brown on these. Might pop more on that yellow frame than the lighter tan.

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2015/01/fast-plush-and-robust-in-praise-of.html

This Gravel King clincher looks good too. Panaracer makes good tires. Again, the darker brown sidewall.

View attachment 55707

http://tracksupermarket.com/ajax/index/options/product_id/143/

Man these road bike tires are serious business!..:21:

The brown is cool....I really like this Continental Gran Prix Classic.

15454948399_5a8d7c1ed3.jpg

Didn't realize there was so much technology going into road bike tires.

Found a place that had the Vittoria Corsa G+ for a decent price. For about the same as that Bontrager tire I got the pair and they're 320 TPI like those.
corsa.png

Little lighter color. More of a skinwall but I like the tread pattern. Reminds me of the old Schwinn Puff Gumwalls...+ I like the performance specs..:)...hopefully they're as good on the street as they are on paper.

Feel like I'm turning into a Rat weenie..:D

That skinwall is going to ride better and be more flexible than any gumwall. Nice choice! And I agree on the tread pattern. That's a new one on me. When I was commuting by road bike regularly, the Conti Gator Skin was my go to. Super durable, and I loved that dark brown side wall.

Digging your build so far! I had similar thoughts with some forge welded cantilever frames I have hanging around. I was thinking more track/time trial build though. Keep up the great work!

Digging your build so far! I had similar thoughts with some forge welded cantilever frames I have hanging around. I was thinking more track/time trial build though. Keep up the great work!

Thank you! track/time trial build sounds killer.

That skinwall is going to ride better and be more flexible than any gumwall. Nice choice! And I agree on the tread pattern. That's a new one on me. When I was commuting by road bike regularly, the Conti Gator Skin was my go to. Super durable, and I loved that dark brown side wall.

Those Gator Skins are cool. The Continental tires on this bike are really smooth and quick but these Vittoria Corsa G+ are cutting edge new for 2016 tires...and they're geared more towards racing but with acceptible wear and puncture resistance.

Looking forward to trying them out on this old Schwinn...:)...should be long lasting enough for my joy rides.

Here's what would have been the original tires on a '73 Collegiate.

tireS-6.jpg

+the Corsas.

1442481361987-1ixb1bui4nijz-630-354.jpg

Hope they get here soon...then this will be about wrapped up I think.

Love that side profile. The sidewalk, the dirt path, and the grass. That bike could ride them all!

I cropped it a little tighter, to bring the bike up a little, and lightened it up a bit.

super collegiate.jpg

Green grass is a great backdrop for that bike. Get it out in the sun a little though.

Love that side profile. The sidewalk, the dirt path, and the grass. That bike could ride them all!

I cropped it a little tighter, to bring the bike up a little, and lightened it up a bit.

View attachment 56159

Thank you that looks better. This monitor I have is not the greatest. Makes everything look bright.

Green grass is a great backdrop for that bike. Get it out in the sun a little though.

Good idea. Tried a quick one in front of the house in the evening sun.
c33.jpg
Might have to find a spot without the tree. Grass works good for the black spoke effect too.

Will have to cruise around and try some spots once I get the new tires on. Don't have to crop the dog out if I take pics elsewere..

c34.jpg

Measured the 25mm tires on this and they are 24.5 mm. The new 25mm Corsa G+ tires on the way supposedly measure out to 27mm. Hopefully they clear the fenders....MO FATTA!...:21:

Latest posts

Back