Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole point of rule #1 was to keep people from taking a completed bike and entering it as is without doing any work to it.

We had an instance long ago where someone wanted to enter a bike that was professionally built and supposedly shown at an Autorama type event and they turned up at the last minute and wanted to enter it. They sort of missed the point that this was a build off where people were actually supposed to be building the bike during the time frame given.

It could just be the we reword that rule to say....

1. You must build your bike during the build off competition time frame.

Perhaps I am missing a point, does that mean if I had a previously built bike I wanted to refresh or an unfinished build, I could disassemble it prior to May 1 and enter it?
Or does the entry need to be a totally new build?
I always thought it was the latter, something not previously worked on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Perhaps I am missing a point, does that mean if I had a previously built bike I wanted to refresh or an unfinished build, I could disassemble it prior to May 1 and enter it?
Or does the entry need to be a totally new build?
I always thought it was the latter, something not previously worked on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Document disassembly on May 1st, then document the refresh afterwards. Some folks won’t have access to totally new build components/materials. Make it easy.

The point is that you don't enter a bike that you built 5 years ago without doing anything to it during the build off time frame.

If you did, that would be a bike show...not a build off.
Exactly. I'm still thinkin' it's time to build my Spaceliner. But if I were to "rebuild" my '36 Hawthorne, on or after May 1st would be a total disassembly and likely a paint job, as it's bare metal now. Wherever the rest of the build takes me is a mystery at this point. I like to change it up a lot until I see something I really like in terms of parts and styling. It quite possibly could get some frame modification as all 4 stays are in pretty bad shape... So definitely not just a spit and polish.

Carl.

Exactly. I'm still thinkin' it's time to build my Spaceliner. But if I were to "rebuild" my '36 Hawthorne, on or after May 1st would be a total disassembly and likely a paint job, as it's bare metal now. Wherever the rest of the build takes me is a mystery at this point. I like to change it up a lot until I see something I really like in terms of parts and styling. It quite possibly could get some frame modification as all 4 stays are in pretty bad shape... So definitely not just a spit and polish.

Carl.

Spaceliners are always fun.

26962189_566391390368816_7365636778327935809_o.jpg

I’m in if it happens!

Social distancing has produced one build for me already this year, and I working on another now. I’m digging deep in parts stash!

I've got a red Spaceliner myself and have been wondering what to strip the red off with, that won't ruin the chrome underneath?

Carl

Paint stripper won’t hurt your chrome, as long as it’s all thoroughly all washed off afterwards.

I've got a red Spaceliner myself and have been wondering what to strip the red off with, that won't ruin the chrome underneath?

Carl

I don't think any strippers will hurt that chrome one bit.

So...if a guy is already collecting parts for a build (for example, I dunno, say a Strato Flyer) but hasn’t actually done anything to the bike, would it be eligible for the build off?

Axing for a friend...

Latest posts

Back