Suggestions on grippy flats that aren't too expensive.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The reason I crashed my 29er yesterday jumping (twice) both times involved my foot slipping off the pedal. Now, I was wearing the wrong shoes, but another rider with better shoes tried my pedals (bear traps) and couldn't get grip either. The outer grip on the beartraps is great, but no grip on the inside, anyone got any suggestion?

Since "expensive" is a relative term, let me just say, I'd like to be around $30 give or take and cheaper is always better.

I won't be riding for a while until they know my shoulder is healed.

cman said:
Make sure what ever you buy has replaceable pins. Number one reason is they are replaceable. Number 2 reason is the pins have sharp edges= more grip.

Sealed bearings are a plus.

These seem to get good reviews. http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=96389

I think I saw those on Nashbar.com but they only have 1 center pin, the center of the pedal is where my slip was started.

biss-ness said:
Have you considered clip-less pedals? Its egg beaters or flats for me... http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...cse&utm_campaign=datafeed&CAWELAID=1120061234

jump higher or pedal faster , just remember to unclip before you stop :lol:

I've thought about clipless for cross country, but I was riding on a jump path and you want to be able to easily free your foot without something extra. My brother-in-law used the Crank Brothers and could not adjust them to have a sensible clip out angle, so he switched to Shimano.

jalopyjimmy13 said:
that sux man get better n get those new pedals soon lol :)

I've got time, doctor has me off the bike for a while, not that I feel strong enough to ride anyway.

I usually use bmx pedals. I like the metal frame pedals which i guess are "egg beaters". Because they work. It makes it jard to bet rid of them, i want to keep them even though i know they wo.t make there way back on any bike i have. I love bmx pedals and with a size 15 foot, they are just perfect.

JaxRhapsody said:
I usually use bmx pedals. I like the metal frame pedals which i guess are "egg beaters". Because they work. It makes it jard to bet rid of them, i want to keep them even though i know they wo.t make there way back on any bike i have. I love bmx pedals and with a size 15 foot, they are just perfect.

I am currently using BMX pedals (bear traps) and that's what messed me up.

Ive got a set of primo pedals and those have teeth that can be removed with an allen wrench.. Primos are pretty popular and ive never had a foot slip off, whether they were boots,chucks or air forces.

I use "campus" pedals. One side of the pedal is a flat and the other side is clipless. I can ride with my bike shoes or without. You have fewer foot injuries when wearing bicycle shoes, because the sole is very stiff and supportive. I was having foot pain problems before I bought my first pair of bicycle shoes.

Have you tried old style rat-traps? You can use spring clips without the straps for flying (assuming they're still making them :? :wink: ). Personally I've grown too lazy and scared for my old bones to do so anymore, but I'm sure it still works. :mrgreen:

010.jpg

deorman said:
Have you tried old style rat-traps? You can use spring clips without the straps for flying (assuming they're still making them :? :wink: ). Personally I've grown too lazy and scared for my old bones to do so anymore, but I'm sure it still works. :mrgreen:

I was running bear traps that I thought were grippy enough, the narrow rat traps might grab better on a thin sole shoe like I was wearing. Anyway, I have tried a set of flats with the replaceable traction pins and they grab good *if* I am wearing a shoe with a less flexible sole, and while I'm shopping for shoes, shin pads are in order too.

I used to run bear traps till the first time I crashed and took out my shins. Still have scars. Now I go for platform pedals with removable little spikes.

I know it's a predictable choice but I'd reccomend DMR V8's, I've been running V12's in everything from dust to snow to our infamous local mud and they've been great...only slight 'issue' is they actually eat your shoes if the rubber's too soft!

I think the V8's are about 25GBP so should be within budget.

V12s.jpg

Latest posts

Back