Sturmey Hub - Special washer??? Do I need this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central New York State near the Erie Canal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a set of neat axle adjusters on the Ashtabula. Do I need to keep these special tabbed washers? This is an old Sturmey Archer 3 Speed Drum Brake hub.

The washer interferes with the placement of the axle adjusters. How necessary is the washer? There's one on each side.
Here's a photo of the adjusters I want to install.
Thanks
Al

I think they are there to keep the axle from rotating. If you could fill in the gap on your adjuster eyebolt with weld and file it flat to fit the axle.

Yes, you should install the anti-rotation washers on the flatted axle. I would place them on the axle inside the dropouts,tabs facing out. You may have to spread the frame a little, as you go, to get the hub to slide in. The axle threads are fine and shallow. Tighten nuts snug, but not tight, or they strip easily.

unnamed (2).jpg

Got it done this afternoon. Had to pull the garage door part way down to shield from the sun - man, it's been hot here lately. Flipped the special washers to the inside but needed to spread the frame only the thickness of one washer - about 1/16 inch. Hence the blocks and tire iron - crude but effective.

Finished! Axle adjusters installed.

Thanks very much everyone for the help!
Al

Latest posts

Back