Stuck stem wedge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a bicycle already disassembled last week. I got all the parts cleaned and was proceeding to assemble the forks and handlebars when I realized the stem wedge was missing. Well, it turns out the previous owner broke the stem bolt off leaving the wedge stuck in there. Right now I've got it soaking in PB Blaster. Any other tips on how I might get this thing out?

Can you drive it out from the bottom side of the fork?

A brass drift of decent length works well and doesn't bust stuff up because it is relatively soft. Or a stem bolt you can stand to part with might be able to be threaded in from the bottom and then you can drive on that.

Ha Ha! Can't do it. The bolt that holds the fender on is also snapped off, so I am unable to get anything threaded from that way either. I wasn't going to remove it because I am ditching the fenders, but I might be able to remove it with a tap I suppose. It's been soaking overnite now in the PB. I'll work with it this evening and see if I can free it up.

If it was just unbolted. you should be able to thread the bolt alone, without the stem, back into the wedge. Then slide a crescent wrench under the head of the bolt and tap upward with a hammer. If it is broken off, then it was probably stuck very well to begin with. You may just have to drill out the fender mount, then knock it out with anything that will go in there.

If the stem bolt breaks, is it ok to replace it with a bolt you can buy from the hardware store?

Try Kano Kroil for rusted,broken fasteners. I've used them all over the years and it's worked best. Try drill ing the fender screw with a smaller size,then run a tap through it.

Pat

Latest posts

Back