Stuck Seat Post

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have tried every methods, pipe wrench, vise grip, wd-40 and hammer to loose it up. No luck at all. It is rust and very difficult to take it out of the frame. Is there any other way to get it out? I don't want the frame to go waste because of it. Any help is much appreciate!

EDIT: If the seat post gets damaged which is okay because i don't want it.

The penetrating oils, as mentioned earlier put WD-40 to shame for that particular use. If you have a good pipe wrench, and it's tight enough, you should be able to twist the average seatpost into a knot. :|

I will try at it again but with penetrating oil if i can find it in my local shop.

Other thing i need help with, i snapped the bolt/widje on stem and the widje is stuck inside the fork. Is there any way i can get the widje out of the fork?

I think I read on Sheldon Browns site that ammonia will work on certain metal combos. What is the frame and post material?

kamamakuza said:
I will try at it again but with penetrating oil if i can find it in my local shop.

Other thing i need help with, i snapped the bolt/widje on stem and the widje is stuck inside the fork. Is there any way i can get the widje out of the fork?
Auto parts store, hardware stores for penetrating oil. It may also help loosening the wedge.

62Higgins said:
I think I read on Sheldon Browns site that ammonia will work on certain metal combos. What is the frame and post material?

The frame and post is metal. I will have to try that method sometime next time if i gotten into other hassle.

deorman said:
Auto parts store, hardware stores for penetrating oil. It may also help loosening the wedge.

Went to auto zone this morning and got it. Sprayed it on the seat post and unfortunately the seat post twisted and broke in half. I think i will have to come up with a creative ideas to make a seat. :(

Meanwhile, i need help with getting the bolt out of the bottom of fork where it hold the fender. Can't use the vise grip because there is no room for it. Tried negative point with driller, it just keep strip and strip. Did hammer it to shake the bolt. I don't want to drill hole in it because the fork and fender is a keeper.

2009-09-11%2012.32.57.jpg

Good, now when it's time to put the fender back on, what's left of the screw will have to be removed from the forks. Sometimes they free up easily and can be gotten with a pair of pliers.

i would've welded a long bolt onto the end of the post, with a weight on it, and a thick plate with a hole in it to slide down to the end of the bolt. slide hammer! make sure the plate is 1/4" or thicker. :shock:

Latest posts

Back