Storage building

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the time has come to build a storage building, to get all the bicycle stuff out of my shop.
I was going to build a small separate storage building and my wife decided I needed to just add
on to the side of my shop. Probably will look better. My problem is I have way too much bike
stuff that I figure needs to be kept. I have 7 built bikes and 5 frames and 30 wheels. Not to mention
lots of spare parts all necessary to build a bike. Probably could just throw it all away and do better.
Maybe take up pottery making. I keep coming back to building bicycles. Its fun cheap and lets you
release your creativity. So I'm going to build an 8' x 12' storage shed. I figure I can get all of it out of
my shop and things will be easier when I build a frame. So I'm going to post my build here.
This is the start. The guy came over today and sunk 5 one foot concrete blocks for the foundation.
Looks like its going to be a pretty straight forward build. So if your bored follow along. :lol:

DSCF0001_zpse4f531c7.jpg
DSCF0001_zpsb2a8235f.jpg

Yeah You can't have enough storage. I have built lots of things including the shop next to this building.
I'm going to try using lag bolts to bolt the floor joists together this time. I normally nail with 16p nails,
but with jacking my other one up ,I have had it try to separate. I though about using those joist hangers,
but I'm not sure that they are the way to go. So as soon as this cup of coffee is gone.....I'm heading to Lowe's

Ok this is probably overkill , but My dad always told me if your going to build anything ....make it
solid and put everything on 16'' centers. If you go to a home store and look at their buildings , they
use 2x2 studs on 2 foot centers. The floor joists are a few 2x4's thrown on the ground. I used treated
2x8's and this time I decided to use 4 x1/4'' lag bolts instead of 16 p nails....way over kill but when the next hurricane comes
there will be no reason to look out and see if my building will handle it. I predrilled the holes smaller than
the lag bolts and then used my air ratchet to put them in. Worked pretty good. Solid as a rock so far.

DSCF0002_zps745a3f06.jpg

DSCF0003_zps55158c62.jpg

I started one, then the great hail storm came and messed up my house and shed. still waiting for the insurance peeps
come come back and reinspect. seems the check they gave me and what my contractor is asking for is just a bit off..
they gave me 9K .. the contracter said 25K har. but yes I used 4inch screws in my framing its 4 x 12 with 8 ft high
walls. that way I can hang bikes from the over head and still have room below to store stuff.

My original plan was to build one 6' wide and 10' long. I wanted to put three doors on it and
it would look like a big set of cabinets. But my wife decided on this plan. She is in charge of
food so I rarely argue with her. :shock: :roll:

Uncle Stretch said:
My original plan was to build one 6' wide and 10' long. I wanted to put three doors on it and
it would look like a big set of cabinets. But my wife decided on this plan. She is in charge of
food so I rarely argue with her. :shock: :roll:
prolly a good call

Yeah its funny that wives are in charge of all the stuff that makes you smile. :shock:
Well got the plywood on and now it just looks like a deck. Still have to nail a
few more nails and cut down the left side to adjust for the siding that is on
the original building. Makes it stick out an inch or so. If I had some 2x4's and
a handful of energy....well at least some clouds. The sun is kicking my rear.
Come on cold front. Maybe a good nap will build my energy level back up.
DSCF0001_zpsfd3acf7f.jpg

Stuck a couple studs together just to see how it was going to fit.....not bad
Should knock out the framing of the walls pretty quick tomorrow.
DSCF0001_zps8b18b401.jpg

naps are good... naps are always good... I think i need one know .. i was looking at your pics.. and the 2x4's looked
pink... so I will have that nap now

Yeah the white ones are $2.68 a piece and the pink ones are $1.87. Not my favorite choice in colors
but for cheaper I can live with it.
Its fun to stand in there and try to figure out how much junk it will hold. :shock: :shock:
I already bought the roof , so I'm still needing the siding...a door...and a couple more roof joists
I'm at about $635 right now. Not too bad.
Lowe's wants $1000 for a kit junk particle board 3x3's on 2 foot centers with 2x4 floor joists. :lol:

Pink studs, never seen such a thing!

I'm in the middle of a 16' x 20' shed build. My wife wants her storage space back. Mine will be split down the middle longwise, 1/2 will be enclosed the other will be drive under for the atv, lumber & bike storage.

Yeah I needed something even if I quit building bikes. I have a bunch of stuff.
Got half of a garage full of really necessary stuff you have to have in life. My zero
turn mower( have guys that mow my lawn) two small motorcycles I never ride
three generators...can't have enough of them and several of my rider bikes that
we never seem to ride. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gonna be one heck of a garage sale when I'm gone. :?

They are a lesser grade and that way if they are pink they sure don't get confused with the white
ones that cost more. Really didn't make me any difference. There was a couple big stacks and I
went through them to find 25 straight ones. They were quite a bit cheaper so pink it is. The outside
will be covered and the inside is storage so it won't matter either. :roll: :shock: :roll:
I thought at first they were for girl carpenters. :lol: :lol:

Yeah I have bought most of my stuff there so far. I got the plywood at ace lumber.
Its the same price , but looked in better shape. Being able to stand there and pick through
your lumber gives you better stuff. It took me a while to sort through lots of SKI"S before I
got 25 straight ones on the studs. The pink ones said Made in Texas on them so that was another
selling point. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My back is sore this morning. At 62 my body is lacking to do major construction. It did cross my
mind when I carried those three heavy 3/4'' sheets of treated plywood around to the back by myself.....
I'm still bad. Just let someone mess with me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
We will see what I get done today.

I got my wife to spray off on me for the mosquitos. Later as it got hot I had her spray some sun block
on me too. I handed her the sun block again in a few hours and she sprayed my neck arms and then started
spraying my shirt.....I asked her if she thought my shirt needed sun protection. We both got a big laugh.

Yeah Walker up in your neck of the woods its cooler. Here its about a million degrees.
I work till I'm totally exhausted and wringing wet and then come in here and cool down.
Got two walls done. Just one more
DSCF0002_zps4fd0bd3b.jpg

Latest posts

Back