Stingray 20" Wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm working on rebuilding a bike I bought for my grandson. I thought it was an original Stingray until I determined the frame serial number is for a 20" 62 Typhoon/American bike that was converted to look like a Stingray. Everything else is original including the rims and tires. My question is can I replace the rims (S7,S2) with non-schwinn aftermarket ones so I can replace the tires with 1.75 size tires which are easier to find and cheaper too. Keep in mind, I'm not trying to restore to original Stingray condition. Thanks,

Last edited:
Certainly can, however, are the original wheels bad ? an S2 is not a special size, and will fit any modern 20 x 2.125 or large 20 x 2.25,2.35,etc....... S7 front is special size, only available aftermarket as a , iirc, a Kenda ? Amazon ( Niagara Cycle ) had them I think.
If the rims are good, should be cheaper to hunt down the tires than replace both wheels.

Thanks for the info. The rims and hubs cleaned up really nice. The spokes are a bit rusty and the front wheel has a broken one which I'm replacing. I think for now I'm keeping the wheels and just buying some tires. There's a Schwinn dealer that's sells tires that will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back