Still Playing With the Mongoose Beast?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the Beast modification has dropped off. I know it has been awhile, and my own multi-speed, disc-equipped Beast was dismantled, long ago. So, I understand the radio silence.

But, I recently pulled the old frame out of the rafters, and re-imagined it as a single speed with 26x3” Plus sized tires on 50mm rims, a Tom Ritchey fat fork from eBay and disc brakes.

With the trail gearing, it rides like a behemoth bmx bike, and makes me grin like my bmx bike used to!

Last edited:
55D5155F-CA81-487D-B7D2-D4247AAC6973.jpeg

It actually rides really nicely, with these wheels.

I got them off of eBay, with (different) tires, a couple of years ago. Less than $200, at the time...

9E899F43-6386-40E3-8D06-86066759B3CF.jpeg
16905D64-B4C3-4FCE-9FF0-2B9A99796463.jpeg
B9656311-69FE-4549-BCA8-83738AC8F489.jpeg
I got this cheap suspension fork off of eBay for $85, so I thought I’d put it on the Beast Plus, just for fun. Plus, I finally got some bmx chain ring bolts so that I could remove the outer ring.

I still have vivid memories from when the mongoose beast was the only fat bike that was under $5000. So many people went crazy over it at the time. Now you can get a good quality geared fat bike for $300. It just goes to show you how technology can get cheaper and easier to make over a short period of time.

I agree that Mongoose makes a good geared fat bike. Not light, but very competent in the sand. All I have added is handle bars with a 4" rise to mine.

I wish they had come with that size wheels, then I wouldn’t be trying to get rid of mine...hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you trying to sell a whole bike, or frame-only? I'm kinda looking for a second frame...

:forum:
Biggest mod I made on mine was some high pressure grease and careful rethreading. :bigboss: Wasn't using it, sold it at a yard sale to a happy camper.

It's weird that I keep coming back to this frame, I guess. But, I really like how it rides. The "one size fits a few" geometry is spot on for me.

If I had the money, I would have a frame builder recreate the Beast in cromoly, with water bottle braze-ons, a Surly-style horizontal dropout (with derailleur hanger), and a disc brake tab. Although, deep in the back of my mind, I think part of the appeal is that I have managed to make a nice, rideable silk purse from this particular sow's ear...

if you want 26x3, you can buy a new bike with them. Huffy offers several models with 26x3 or 27.5x3. Last year wallyworld was selling the Huffy Fortress for $99 but that seems to be over. yeah, the bikes aren't very good. On a par with most other wallyworld bikes.

Latest posts

Back