State 650b Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a couple big downhill rides on a coaster brake bike (with disc front). No issues from my pov either time, but on the second outing I was told by an experienced mountain biker that was with us that I was probably pissing off other mountain bikers. Locking up the brake generates a lot less heat than slowing...so most the time I was locking up the brake to slow down, but keeping locked to steer through turns. So, I was told that I was tearing up trails and not making any friends of those behind me.

So, my next 'downhill' bike will probably have some front suspension and no coaster brake so I can carry more speed and modulate my braking :blush:.

For light trail riding and urban bombing...coaster brakes are A-OK [emoji106]
I've actually contemplated putting a front brake on this bike when I get it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Not sure what jumping you intend to do but keep in mind the state klunker has a high tensile steel frame and fork. depending on what yr jumping entails you may be better off with a cromo bike but the price would be much higher. I doubt the warranty covers any form of jumping.

Not sure what jumping you intend to do but keep in mind the state klunker has a high tensile steel frame and fork. depending on what yr jumping entails you may be better off with a cromo bike but the price would be much higher. I doubt the warranty covers any form of jumping.
Ok, no jumping. I didn't realize it was hi-ten steel. Now I'm having second thoughts. Here's a video of one of my local trails. Could it handle this?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Ok, no jumping. I didn't realize it was hi-ten steel. Now I'm having second thoughts. Here's a video of one of my local trails. Could it handle this?
That's why I was asking why your OM Flyer couldn't be your trail bike as it is better suited being lighter and chromoly. It's also why there is a line of people wanting to buy the OM Flyer and why the State Klunker is priced how it's priced :grin:.

The bottom line... original klunkers were made of mild steel, the Red Menace is mild steel, the 26" Avengers have a chromoly downtube and the rest is mild steel. For the trails on your vids, you are probably going to be just fine. That series of jumps after you leave Middle Earth? Depending on your weight, smoothness, and speed...you'll probably be fine. A heavy guy landing wrong at speed...flip a coin, could go either way.

If you want something bigger than an OM Flyer, but chromoly, and for roughly the price of the State Klunker...find a nice used Redline Monocog...a Monocog Flight if you can find one. If you have more money to spend, add Kona Unit, Kona Big Unit, or Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a to your search. Maybe even a Salsa Karate Monkey, but I have no experience with those.

Last edited:
A couple clarifications. A bike constructed of mild steel can be just as strong as a bike made from chromoly...it will just be heavier.

Bikes made of chromoly aren't x% stronger than a mild steel version. This is because the goal for most companies is not to make the strongest frame they can...it is to make the lightest frame they can strong enough...so thinner tubes are used, etc

Why dismiss mild steel bikes out of hand if chromoly trades off strength for weight breaks? If a company is going to market a bike at chromoly prices, they will tend to be far better engineered than a mild steel frame. They will use double or triple butted tubing...specific chromoly types for different parts of the bike, etc. In the end you end up with some of both worlds...Strong and Light.

Rustygold knows his stuff. Also check out the 2020 or 2021 avenger. killer ride (likely to be made in Taiwan which is good) with a full cromo frame, fork, freewheel and disc brakes. just put some bigger bars on it and jump off into the distance. Its got 27.5""wheels and the frame is big. 24.5"top tube which is probably the same as the state 650b because its 24.5" from the centres of the seat and head tubes which is how it should be measured. There's still a bike shortage globally so you may have a hard time finding one and is likely the reason you have people lining up for your om. Plenty of great advise here you likely wouldn't get from a lot of bike stores.

1620708928485.png

https://www.wethepeoplebmx.de/bikes/avenger

wow, thats the first time i've seen a monocog 29er. I also like the 29" fast ripper. Would probably overlook the fact it has an aluminium frame because its so different to all my other rides and I always wanted an se of some sort.

A couple clarifications. A bike constructed of mild steel can be just as strong as a bike made from chromoly...it will just be heavier.

Bikes made of chromoly aren't x% stronger than a mild steel version. This is because the goal for most companies is not to make the strongest frame they can...it is to make the lightest frame they can strong enough...so thinner tubes are used, etc

Why dismiss mild steel bikes out of hand if chromoly trades off strength for weight breaks? If a company is going to market a bike at chromoly prices, they will tend to be far better engineered than a mild steel frame. They will use double or triple butted tubing...specific chromoly types for different parts of the bike, etc. In the end you end up with some of both worlds...Strong and Light.

Yes important that any well built cromo frame should be at least double butted. I was surprised to read in the 2012 Mongoose catalogue the 2012 kos had a triple butted frame but I think it could have been an error.

https://issuu.com/csgaustralia/docs/2012_mg_bmx

RG pretty much nailed it. Monocog is a great option for the price, and the karate monkey is even that much better. Probably one of the best frame setups out there. Sturdy and reliable

For those trails you posted, I'd think you would be fine unless you tackle them like Tomac

I might have missed it, but why the aversion to aluminum? I have used my rigid Gary Fisher Rig on everything from black diamond Pisgah trail to local bmx races in the cruiser class.

Other used options... Transition Klunker, ~'96 Gary Fisher Klunker, Trek (Gary Fisher) Sawyer.

All the bikes I mentioned come in various sizes... except maybe the Fisher Klunker, I don't remember if they came in different sizes.
Shhhhhhhhh............I'm looking for a Sawyer. Don't be telling everyone else to buy them

:rofl:

Latest posts

Back