Springer fork question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just bought this springer fork for my huffy and I don't think it's going to work. Is there anything I can do to make it fit? As you can see in the picture the spring mount isn't low enough to fit snug. I need to trim the threaded area but I don't think that will help with the gap in the mounting bracket.

Drill new holes lower on the forks, at the top mounting points?

9dbba9c66fe49919469ed2476ec91b38.jpg

Last edited:
trim the fork thread 2.5 inche s add a spacer & see if that works , if not you may have a springer for for a womans bike as a woman's bike has a longer head tube

It didn't say it was for a women's, but then again it didn't say it was for a men's bike.

Umm, I know it's a men's bike, I was saying where I bought the forks from they didn't say if the forks Are for men's or women's.

It is meant to be universal. I would add a spacer (piece of pipe or fork spacers sold at shops for suspension forks in general). I put a 26" springer on a stingray for giggles. I cut the steer tube, no spacers, just cranked the nut down until everything was tight. The spring and yolk were in a bit of a binding angle, but it never gave me issues. In retrospect, I realized that I could have ground a bit of the inside of the yolk where it stops against the fork bars. This allows the yolk to tilt down more and the spring will still function as intended. In my opinion, all options are all equally viable, because none of them affect the ability to re-use the fork for other builds later, except for the fact that once the steer tube is cut it will always be cut. So I personally would do a spacer, just in case.

They are meant to be universal as stated, but the fork tube that goes thru the head tube is different length for different applications, MTB, classic and cruiser springers that are manufactured now sell the tube in 4" thru 8". I had a longer one and cut an inch off it to get it to fit my bike. In the picture, it looks like u have the upper spring bracket up side down as well. It can be carefully finessed with a vise , heat and hammer or big crescent to bend to the right angle for your setup. My 0.02.

I Just bought this springer fork for my huffy and I don't think it's going to work. Is there anything I can do to make it fit? As you can see in the picture the spring mount isn't low enough to fit snug. I need to trim the threaded area but I don't think that will help with the gap in the mounting bracket.

Drill new holes lower on the forks, at the top mounting points?

9dbba9c66fe49919469ed2476ec91b38.jpg
Just make two spacers.

I used a piece of galvanized pipe and a 3/16" spacer to make up the difference.
My spacer was a tight fit and the inside diameter of the pipe was slightly loose so I cut a piece of sheet aluminum that I got from hobby shop to shim it all the way around. When I cut the fork tube I could only cut so much of it because I would have run out of threads. Measure carefully. When I did my 68 Stingray with 26" springer forks I had to do the same thing.
1203141935.jpg

Latest posts

Back