Spray booth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could now start a business painting frames. With our weather and hand removing old paint I could manage two a year. Every speck of old paint has to be removed. All rust has to be removed as much as possible and then nutrilized with Ospho before primer. A bigger capacity compressor and media blaster would be needed before I could manage four a year. Not a very good business plan.

Vinyl pin stripe tape for masking to avoid bleed through. Painters tape where a clean edge is not required. A very light fine sanding tomorrow to taper the paint to the chrome.
608A6AB9-948D-48C3-9AAD-0B55701F5708.jpeg

Nice. I use a similar set up.
piece of black pipe, stuck in a concrete block with a few other pieces of broken block jammed around the pipe so its tight and vertical.
Hose clamp on the pipe, rests inside the headtube.

I also shoot from a gun anytime I can, hvlp and enamel at home. I mask up but just throw tarps down to protect the floor from overspray.

I shoot urethane for auto resto and wont use that at my house, just my shop. Full suit with that nasty stuff.

For small jobs, bikes etc, the harbor freight purple guns do pretty well. Reduce accordingly, shoot some tack coats and 2 flow coats with flash time in between.

I use a lot of industrial enamel, i prefer valspar implement paint, but rustoleum works too. Mix ratio 8 part paint, 4 part reducer, 1 part enamel hardener

Typcally thin with acetone, but any enamel reducer works and gives flash range, mineral spirits, naptha also work but slower dry time. I use valspar enamel hardener, but have used various brands of enamel hardener and they all work with no issues, even some 15 year old stuff I had hanging around.

Heres a handy chart for solvent flash time if you want to play with common reducers. Slower reducer allows it to flow out more. Downside is you can pick up much more debris the longer it stays wet.
Screenshot_20200903-225158_Drive.jpg

My son figured out away to erect or tear down his booth in 11 minutes. He did some re-engineering. It has been real cold, even by our standards, since September with a lot of snow, rain and wind. The day before yesterday it was cloudy and humid but got briefly up to 48 F, which was the highest temperature for the previous ten days and it is not supposed to be warmer for ten more days. He came out here, erected the booth and put an electric ceramic and a propane heater in it. When it go to 85 F he turned off the heaters, to avoid explosion when spraying. He mixed the two part spray paint, but the temp was now 70 F. He turned the propane heater back on but the tank was now empty. Off with the bomb suit and off to the nearest propane exchange, back on, suit back on. Whew, only 5 minutes of pot life remained. He got it done. After two hours in the booth he brought it into our 80 F bathroom with the exhaust fan on. It’s now cured and looks great. He is going to have to wait for summer to paint the carbon bars and seat post. The plan is to have a classic steel Italian frame with modern components and cockpit. He already has Campy wheels. Soon he will order a Campy group set.
076BD4F7-97B7-4093-A535-26A96EC9CE5B.jpeg
C869C6C4-A624-4BC9-9AC8-202377358125.jpeg

Last edited:
Shoot, look at all the accessories your paint stand has! Makes my cinder block look downright primitive, I'm keeping my eyes out for one like that

No thank you. After spending first 37 years of my life in Ohio, I don't want to give up North Carolina winters!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

We sound similar. 36 years of Wisconsin winters and then to NC, now to SC. At this rate I'll be in the Bahamas by 2028 :giggle:

Latest posts

Back