BO15 Skidwell GTS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Class One entry. I wasn’t going to so I could focus on Class 2, but this is meant to be an assembly project so I can work on something during noise restrictions (ie late at night or during Sunday morning sleep in time)

A crusty Speedwell GTS, a bit of a collectors piece locally along with its twin the Malvern Star Skidstar.
704C6A36-A23A-44FB-A880-B654FB793E42.jpeg
F05536C3-FB95-40D4-8312-6D28FEA0100D.jpeg
24AEFFAB-A5C4-47AA-A5DC-C2CF42E13B37.jpeg
234E675B-F258-4AD2-A6D0-FC2124F19AE6.jpeg

Planning a 3spd and hopefully a t-bar shifter. Probably won’t paint the frame. The rims are beyond hope and the hubs I have are on the wrong sized wheels.

Struggling to come up with a build name at this point.

Last edited:
That GTS has an interesting frame design. First one I've ever seen, I think.
Looks like you've got a cool project on your hands.
RaT oN~!

That GTS has an interesting frame design. First one I've ever seen, I think.
Looks like you've got a cool project on your hands.
RaT oN~!
I’ve been looking around the internet’s about them. Seem to be an Australian design not made elsewhere. The Speedwell is the poor cousin to the Skidstar. There is a company in Melbourne (AUS) selling a new reproduction for $1200 ish and original Versoins I high 3 and low 4 figure prices.

there’s been two Skidstar’s on here that I’ve found amongst the search.
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...-malvern-star-skidstar-gt.99631/#post-1000312https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...ces-build-off-11-malvern-star-skidstar.98182/

I’ve been looking around the internet’s about them. Seem to be an Australian design not made elsewhere. The Speedwell is the poor cousin to the Skidstar. There is a company in Melbourne (AUS) selling a new reproduction for $1200 ish and original Versoins I high 3 and low 4 figure prices.

there’s been two Skidstar’s on here that I’ve found amongst the search.
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...-malvern-star-skidstar-gt.99631/#post-1000312https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...ces-build-off-11-malvern-star-skidstar.98182/

Looks good all done up

27009180124_066ef39632_b.jpg

I love the names Speedwell and Skidstar. How about SkidWell

Quiet times in the workshop this weekend so I stripped down the GTS. Fortunately whoever built it up knew about grease so it came apart fairly easily. Even the cranks and bottom bracket didn’t put up a fight.
B022F050-DC80-41F4-B0A1-4FD1FA778332.jpeg

Looks like something went wrong with the seatpost on install. The bolt has squashed the frame a bit and the seatpost has been slotted probably to reduce its diameter.
A54ADFA7-17B5-4530-8375-6C9D867055F3.jpeg

Next step: give the frame a good clean.

Seat tubes were often slotted like that in a steel frame to increase the clamping pressure as the seat bolt pulled the tube together around the post. Now the seat collar does that job, as aluminum and carbon fiber aren't as resilient to being clamped and stretched like steel is.

This is such an interesting frame. It looks like those cantilevered tubes, which are welded on to the down tube and extend in a curve all the way back to the rear, are bolted on to the chain stays? And the lugged BB and seat and head tube make for easier assembly on the line, and add a unique look as well.

Seat tubes were often slotted like that in a steel frame to increase the clamping pressure as the seat bolt pulled the tube together around the post. Now the seat collar does that job, as aluminum and carbon fiber aren't as resilient to being clamped and stretched like steel is.

This is such an interesting frame. It looks like those cantilevered tubes, which are welded on to the down tube and extend in a curve all the way back to the rear, are bolted on to the chain stays? And the lugged BB and seat and head tube make for easier assembly on the line, and add a unique look as well.
I noticed the bolted seat stays, that’s weird but cool!

Giving the frame swimming lessons. No tubs the right shape so some builders plastic and a couple of sleepers set up an oxalic acid bath. Hope it’s strong enough, using deck cleaner stuff that was lying around topped up with water.
5CC00758-C210-471B-B441-A5CBB73D945E.jpeg

It’s a little bit shallow, but I flipped the frame during the process.

Last edited:
Just noticed that you changed the build name.
That is at least two builds that I have helped name this year. :D
You have to promise to share in any royalties that this bike generates!

Latest posts

Back