Specialized 1999 Crossroads Sport

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this isn't truly vintage, it's likely as vintage as I'm going to get. It's my 4th bike build, and I do have a lot of fun rebuilding frames into something rideable. I'm building it as a single speed, and one of the pics shows my Rennen Rollenlager chain tensioner that came this morning temporarily mounted. Some parts I had in my parts bin; a few more I was able to find NOS at a decent price; and a couple more I bought used. As you folks know, the cost of building a bike can get away from you quickly, and I'm trying to do this without throwing a bunch of $$$ into a hole. My NOS wheelset is supposed to arrive today. They are a discontinued 700C set from all the way across the country, and had to take a few extra days' detour due to this nasty weather we've been fighting. Another part due to arrive tomorrow is a 1 1/8" quill stem that accepts a 31.8mm bar. I hope to have the bike ready to go in another week or so.

DSCF0639.JPG

DSCF3881.JPG

DSCF3918.JPG

DSCF3920.JPG

Wheelset arrived today, nice and trued by the seller. This bike is certainly different from my Trek hybrid, on which I currently run 700x50, and could fit even wider tires. On the Specialized frame, the 700x50 fits fine up front, but won't even come close in the back. I took the new rear wheel and mounted a used Bontrager 700x45 I had hanging in the garage. It fits fine with plenty of room around the seatstays, but the clearance around the chainstays is very close. The wheel turns without rubbing, even when I put all my weight on the seat, but it's close! I'm still going to try it with the 700x45 tires. Worst comes to worse, I'll drop to a 700x40 in the rear.

DSCF3921.JPG

Went to the LBS today to pick up tubes and tires, Bontrager LT2 Comp 700x38. Narrowest tires I've had on a bike since I had a single speed, coaster brake, drop bar 26" bike in my late teens. I considered going wider on the front since the fork has so much room, but decided to stick with the same front and back. Getting close, but still waiting on a couple of other parts to arrive.

DSCF3925.JPG

The adapter I needed to mount a bar with a 31.8mm center to a 1 1/8" threaded fork arrived today. With the bars I chose, I think the bike's lines have a 70s sort of vibe. I'm using new-old-stock BMX levers to actuate the brakes. I'm still amazed what great shape the frame and paint are in for a 22 year old bike. Makes me wonder if it was kept inside, and why they stripped the frame in the first place. Just need to adjust the brakes and set up the drive train, and I'll be ready to go.

DSCF3955.JPG

Last edited:
COVID bike #3 is complete. In this photo, the chain was way too slack, even with the chain tensioner, but removing a link made the chain too short. What to do? Wait until the next day and drive to the LBS to pick up some half-links to adjust the chain length, or . . . change the rear cog. I figured changing from an 18T to 20T cog would take up some chain slack, but would it be too much? Only one way to find out.

A couple of hours later, I'm riding the thing in the dark in front of my house. The complete silence of a well tuned SS is beautiful. I really liked the feel of the 700x38 tires. We'll see how I'm thinking after I've put some miles out on the trail. Final gear ratio is 36:20, and just over 49 gear inches. It felt good on the slight inclines we have directly in front of my house. I don't plan on doing any hill climbing, just rail trail riding.

single speed.jpg

Although this isn't truly vintage, it's likely as vintage as I'm going to get. It's my 4th bike build, and I do have a lot of fun rebuilding frames into something rideable. I'm building it as a single speed, and one of the pics shows my Rennen Rollenlager chain tensioner that came this morning temporarily mounted. Some parts I had in my parts bin; a few more I was able to find NOS at a decent price; and a couple more I bought used. As you folks know, the cost of building a bike can get away from you quickly, and I'm trying to do this without throwing a bunch of $$$ into a hole. My NOS wheelset is supposed to arrive today. They are a discontinued 700C set from all the way across the country, and had to take a few extra days' detour due to this nasty weather we've been fighting. Another part due to arrive tomorrow is a 1 1/8" quill stem that accepts a 31.8mm bar. I hope to have the bike ready to go in another week or so.

View attachment 151484
View attachment 151485
View attachment 151486
View attachment 151487
So where are the final pics? I love rebuilding and repurposing bikes as I am considering a timely Crossroads into Gravel bike conversion. Have the 22quill to aheadset Stem and older Shimano Mountain LX parts. Straight bar or dropper bars and shifter issues are a thought and a different rear hub and rim setup would round it out. Seat, derailleurs and SPD pedals I have. Parts to get other than rear wheel are bar tape, Water Btl cages tire (road tiers on 200x38 rims. Have XTR brakes but may need linear pulls for front once the new stem goes on replacing center pull through to gooseneck setup. Any ideas or thoughts.
You should see my 88 Rat rod StumpJumper with 80mm Suspension and disk brakes up front, A I’d Linear rears XTR rear set up on a single 28t ring front - best mix of old and new.

So where are the final pics? I love rebuilding and repurposing bikes as I am considering a timely Crossroads into Gravel bike conversion. Have the 22quill to aheadset Stem and older Shimano Mountain LX parts. Straight bar or dropper bars and shifter issues are a thought and a different rear hub and rim setup would round it out. Seat, derailleurs and SPD pedals I have. Parts to get other than rear wheel are bar tape, Water Btl cages tire (road tiers on 200x38 rims. Have XTR brakes but may need linear pulls for front once the new stem goes on replacing center pull through to gooseneck setup. Any ideas or thoughts.
You should see my 88 Rat rod StumpJumper with 80mm Suspension and disk brakes up front, A I’d Linear rears XTR rear set up on a single 28t ring front - best mix of old and new.
Post #9

Latest posts

Back