Spaceracer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
r9S9nGh.jpg

Starting out with a Sears spaceliner this will be my first custom ratrod. I'm thinking I'll go with a deep section 700c wheels and the fattest tires i can fit in the frame. I'm not sure about colors or the rest yet, but I'll keep my progress posted here. I'm looking forward to your feedback and Ideas.

Welcome to RRB and the madness of RRBBO8!
Spaceliners are always cool. I like your idea on this one so far.
BTW, your thread is the 200th build thread of RRBBO8!

pDPdNOu.jpg

uKIXUky.jpg

lP4D0Ob.jpg

Found my deep section rims and fitted the largest tires I had... 700c x 38. Had to mount the rear tire deflated and pump it only after it was mounted as there's only about a mm of clearance, but I really like the look so I think I'll keep it. As for the front end I tried lots of forks that I had and the only one that had the clearance was a pearl white peugeot 27" fork. It works for now, but I may take the front end in another direction. Right now it's fitted with a Technomic stem and some cruiser bars upside down path racer style.

As far as options for the front end, I'm thinking I may go in the direction of a 1 1/8 Look carbon road fork and a chunky BMX/MTB stem... If this happens I'll either be sanding down the tread on the tire for clearance or looking for a lower profile tire to make it all fit.

Haven't really even thought about paint yet, just working on the style and making everything fit.

Your feedback and thoughts are welcome. Let me know what you think!

hadn't thought about it much at this point... it's going to be fixed gear so the possibility of no brake is an option, although Its likely I'll go with a single front brake, and I've already started to think about what kind of set-up i'll use...

kingpinjoel said:
Starting out with a Sears spaceliner this will be my first custom ratrod. I'm thinking I'll go with a deep section 700c wheels and the fattest tires i can fit in the frame. I'm not sure about colors or the rest yet, but I'll keep my progress posted here. I'm looking forward to your feedback and Ideas.

Here's my $.02 since you asked :)
The tire/wheel set up is setting the stage IMO. I'm loving the mix of modern components on the old frame. The bare bones racer look is working also without fenders and rack.
So I'm picturing more of that attitude with (possibly) a modern three piece crank and a slim modern saddle and seat post. As for color, if the carbon fiber fork is not painted, pick a charcoal color that matches it or possibly black.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

Three piece conversion kit has already been ordered and I'll be going through my bins to find just the right crank. As for paint, I think you're right and was leaning towards a matte black. I'm going to fit the carbon front end today before I go into work so there should be some more photos this afternoon. I picked up a b17 narrow and a sparrow saddle yesterday but I'm not sure either one is what i'm looking for for this project, I'll just have to see how it looks once I get it together.

Sorry for the recent lack of posts. Fitting the 1 1/8" threadless fork brought up some clearance issues in the head tube and I had to spend some time with a die grinder making room. Similar issues came up in the bottom bracket where the tubes came through the BB shell and were blocking up the path for the BB adapter bolts. All ground away and cleared, and I've started with the media blasting in preparation for paintwork. Here are a few photos of how its all coming along.

jL5DgSh.jpg

uFw46k9.jpg

6gr79Eo.jpg

as far as paint I was originally thinking of a matte black, but am now considering plasti-dip .

As always any feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back