SpaceLiner TRIKES Project ...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey Guys!
Someone over at The CABE sent me here after sharing these - so I'm new here and thought I'd share a pair of projects I'm slowly working on.

This all started innocently enough - I got a PAIR of Ladies SpaceLiner's at an extremely reasonable price - 1 Standard Painted Frame & 1 Deluxe Chrome Springer.
The Standard was actually in better condition than the Deluxe but I didn't give it much thought at the time.

I Also had a "Rat Trike" I'd been riding about & having fun with for several years...
... but my Mrs's somehow managed to collapse & fold back the frame / seat tube on it.

I REALLY liked the flowing lines of those Ladies SpaceLiners - but that Male-Ego thing bit
me in the butt a little...
... and it didn't take long to realize a simple "bent tube" cross bar from a Ladies Schwinn Breeze parts donor in the shed would make a pretty cool looking Mens version out of it!!!

Once that part of the vision came together in my head...
... grafting that to my now ruined Trike's rear clip seemed only natural!!!

I did fully assemble the trike with odd parts onhand to see how sturdy it was structurally and to test it after welding it up...
... but now it sits incomplete as I painted the frame and I'm slowly collecting the final parts I want on it to complete it.

Unfortunately I lost the step-by-step buildup photos I was keeping when my last computer
suffered a final horrific crash...
... HOWEVER - I'm getting ready to build a second matching trike for my Mrs's and I'll post those photos and progress here if anybody actually likes it enough to want to see them???

The part of this build I feel makes them unrestorable is the rear frame dropouts have to be cut off vertically right infront of the opening for the axles on the stock bikes...
... and the head-tube has to be trimmed about 3/8th of an inch top & bottom for the chosen forks to fit!

Here are a few photos of the trike awaiting final assembly detail parts...

I should also mention I'm debating refinishing the color on this one.
Since I'm going to restore atleast 2 or 3 Ladies 2-wheel SpaceLiners for my Mrs's & Daughters...
... I'm seriously thinking of painting BOTH Trikes in a correct color-matching Green with White Tanks for the Standard Painted Spaceliner look!

I'll continue to post updates here if anybody is amused by these???!!!

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will,

Hmmm...
For some reason this has chopped the front of the bikes off in the photos???
Is there a pixeel length/width size limit I missed trying to load these up??? :oops:

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will,

great use of a ladies liner!!!

Hey Guys!
It isn't much...
... but Another box of parts arrived in the mail today!
Add that to the one that came Saturday & we're making progress!

I made my mind up some time ago the Trike's are gonna
be "Hi-Rise Hero's"...
... so I ordered some old-school tall stems & bars for them!

Problem is when I buy parts I get to thinking...
... I may like that on that bike over there too - so MAYBE
I oughtta buy extras???!!!

Hopefully I can get a little tinkering time next week on my days off!

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will,

Re: SpaceLiner TRIKES - TEST RIDE !!!

Hey Guys!
I haven't typed much on this project lately as we've been busy hunting down '40-'41 Elgin parts and working on a deal for my Guitar Package...
" ? RATRODBIKES.COM ? • View topic - TRADE Premium Fender Guitar Package For Restorable Bikes !!! "

However I have been making a little progress on the project!!!
I thought I lost all build photos of Trike #1 when I lost my old computer...
... but I WAS able to re-save a few photos I found in an old saved email about it!!!

Here's where I figured out how I wanted to make that nice flowing ladies frame a guys bike...

... and here's a little more of the framework prep...

... and prepping the trike rear clip mount...

Then here's 2 photos of a mock-up build to test weld-strength and overall feel...

And now finally here's today (6/11/13) after painting for 1st test ride!!!

THE TEST RIDE This Evening Went Great!!!
About 2 miles and everyone was staring and pointing the whole time!!! :lol:

I've still got some parts to rechrome here and another off the wall suprise to make for it yet...
(PLUS building a second matching trike for Wendy!!!)...
... but I'll try to get some better daylight pics of this soon so you can see it better!!!

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,

Hey Guys!
Just a quick update here with a couple of the latest photos...

Mind you - I'm 6' 1" !!!

The test ride was about 2 miles and everyone was staring and pointing the whole time!!!

I've still got some parts to rechrome here and another off the wall suprise to make for it yet...
(PLUS building a second matching trike for Wendy!!!)...
... but we're slowly getting there!

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,

Cool build. Spaceliners are the coolest frames. Got me thinking, just need to find some frames. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back