SPACELINER PITMASTER SPECIAL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOP TUBES

Working a little backwards on this build. Usually I have a pretty strong idea of how I want to design the rear dropouts. I'll typically start with the bottom bracket-chain stay-dropout assembly and build any seat stays or cantilevers off of that. This time I'm starting with the head tube-top tube connection, running the top tubes back to an approximate dropout location, then designing the dropouts to meet where the top tubes ended up. Idea being that I'd be able to focus more on the sweep and arch of the top tubes as I extended them verses trying to hit a specific dropout attachment point. Seems to be working so far but it is also slowing things down a bit.

Twin top tubes tacked in place.
01_topTubesTacked.jpg

Marked and trimmed.
02_markedForCut.jpg

03_cut.jpg

This might be a little hard to see. The tubing I'm using is 1/2" dia. For the sleeving I'm using 3/8" dia .049" wall tube. I hope to run the cables through the tubes eventually, it's going to be tight. To help guide the cabling I beveled the insert ends using a rotary tool. Here's a before/after comparison.
04_beveledInserts.jpg

"S" bends to get around the rear tire and fender.
05_firstSleevedBends.jpg

Final curved ends.
06_topTubeEnds.jpg

DROP OUTS

In addition to adjusting the initial dropout design to meet the top tubes I had to determine exactly how I wanted to hang the twin rear brake calipers. I'm planning on a rear rack so mounting one caliper at the top wasn't a real option. Plus, at the top I felt that it disrupted the flow of the top tube through the dropout too much. Positioning one caliper at the bottom and one at the back seemed to work best while trying to keep the size of the left dropout reasonable.

01_brakeCaliperLocations.jpg

02_hangerCaliperBracket.jpg

03_dropoutTemplatesAndInprocess.jpg

04_inprocessDropoutBracket.jpg

05_inprocessDropouts.jpg

I'm still not exactly sure how the rear tire and fender are going to fit to the frame. I want to keep everything as tight as possible. In order to give myself flexibility I designed the caliper mount slots to run parallel to the rear axle slot. This way everything can move forward or back as needed and stay in the same relative positions. Once I know for sure the final caliper locations I may trim down the bracket a bit more.
06_bracketDropoutTestFit.jpg

DROP OUTS (continued)

The top ears of the dropouts needed a little angle adjustment to match the angle of the top tubes. I used some clamps and square tubing to improvise a metal brake.

07_dropoutsTopTubeEndsPreBendCut.jpg

08_clampMetalBreak.jpg

09_postBends.jpg

10_postBendsTopView.jpg

These need some additional finessing to close the gaps between the dropout and tubing and, the tubes need to be capped yet. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. Next up will be working back to the head tube with the twin mid tubes.
11_trimmedTopTubesDropouts.jpg

MID TUBES

Used a template to locate the mid tubes relative to the head tube and worked my way back.

01_midHeadTubeLocate.jpg

02_fitmentMidTubesInprocess.jpg

I mocked up the mid tube main forward section and the pieces that bend around the rear tire. The best place to sleeve the two together ended up right near where the mid tubes get welded to the seat tube.

04_midSleeveLocate.jpg

03_midSleeveLocate.jpg

Had to cut, tack and finish weld these two sections before continuing.

05_midSleeve01a.jpg

06_midSleeve01b.jpg

07_midSleeve01c.jpg

The run between the seat post and drop outs on these top and mid tubes ended up having as many sleeves as an octopus's sweater! Needed two more to kick the mid tubes in to meet the drop outs.

08_midSleeve2a.jpg

09_midSleeve2b.jpg

10_midSleeve2c.jpg

Last edited:
CHAIN STAYS

I've been using the same "dies" that I used on Shortbow to make the "S" bends for the top and mid tubes and, now for the chain stays. Here's a link to that build with info on how the dies where originally made.

01_diesAndTubing.jpg

02_pipeBender.jpg

03_tubingPostBend.jpg

Forget where I saw this but, running a file across the two tubes while they're welded together creates a reference line thats been invaluable when sleeving pieces together.

04_centerlineDetail.jpg

I printed out a full scale cross section of the chain stay area to help make sure I was clearing the brake disc, tire, fender, and hitting the seat tube.

05_chainstayPiecesParts.jpg

Fitting the pieces together and tacking in place.

06_chainstayFitment.jpg

07_chainstayTack.jpg

08_chainstayTack.jpg

BOTTOM BRACKET

On this design I have the bottom bracket pushed out in front of the main down tube. I started with a straight tube section tacked in place. Then to reinforce that connection I came up with a second piece that curved upward. After seeing it place I wasn't too sure and I might switch to a couple of small gussets below the straight tube. Jury is still out.

01_bbTack.jpg

02_curveSupport.jpg

03_curveSupport.jpg

04_bottomeBrace.jpg

That’s some jet age coolness! The Spaceliners signature touches are all there. I especially like your use and placement of the rack...I nearly pulled the trigger on one to do something similar. Are you fabbing a tank light or adapting one? It looks great!

That’s some jet age coolness! The Spaceliners signature touches are all there. I especially like your use and placement of the rack...I nearly pulled the trigger on one to do something similar. Are you fabbing a tank light or adapting one? It looks great!

Thanks for the compliments. Guess I need to check-in more often... closing in on a month to give this reply, yipes!

I'm planning on fabricating the tank. I think I can get the front light bezel done in metal by squeezing and sectioning a piece of tubing. Not confident in my sheet metal capabilities to fab the tank itself out of metal though. I've read of a process that involves creating a male mold from carved foam, covering that in a thin layer of fiberglass and then melting out the foam with acetone. After that the part is split and additional fiberglass for strengthening is added to the inside, the outside is smoothed with body filler. That's the plan anyway.

FRAME WELD-UP

I'm amazed when I see some of the images online of welds that professional welders can produce. True artistry. I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that my welds are never going to be able to even approach that type of quality. I can at least get two pieces of metal to stick together though! Here's a few images of my welding "style". I had decided early on that I would be doing a fare amount of body work because of bending dimples in the tubing. Good thing because these welds will definitely benefit from a bit of grinding and filler.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Broke out the clamps again to locate the "webbing" at the front of the rear dropouts.

10.jpg

11.jpg

A little preliminary weld cleanup on the inside of the dropouts.

12.jpg

Outside view of dropout and webbing.

13.jpg

FRAME WELD-UP

I'm amazed when I see some of the images online of welds that professional welders can produce. True artistry. I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that my welds are never going to be able to even approach that type of quality. I can at least get two pieces of metal to stick together though! Here's a few images of my welding "style". I had decided early on that I would be doing a fare amount of body work because of bending dimples in the tubing. Good thing because these welds will definitely benefit from a bit of grinding and filler.

View attachment 154390

View attachment 154391

View attachment 154392

View attachment 154393

View attachment 154394

View attachment 154395

View attachment 154396

View attachment 154397

View attachment 154398

Broke out the clamps again to locate the "webbing" at the front of the rear dropouts.

View attachment 154399

View attachment 154400

A little preliminary weld cleanup on the inside of the dropouts.

View attachment 154401

Outside view of dropout and webbing.

View attachment 154402
Welding is a journey and an art. Not a race. I find it to be quite relaxing after doing it for so many years

Loving the build

Duuuuuuude!!! That thing is siiiiick!!! With all the lines it has, it looks like a high-speed arrow about to break through the sound barrier! With the white cardboard mockups, it makes me think of Mike Finnegan's '61 Cadillac drag car he's working on. It just looks like it should go 200 miles per hour.
159414782_5211174138925034_2103574003620662107_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back