SpaceLiner: DevilWing - build completed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SpaceLiner: DevilWing (TONS of huge pics, page 3)

Very cool bike, it has a "toyish" quality with all that bright red.
It fits the era that the bike was created in. I have the same frame as Angelwing sans the chrome. It may be in the next buildoff.

Joeymac mate, that '2 rail' clamp will never hold that seat still, you need the Brooks '4 rail' seat clamp. I guess it will be available from the folks who import Brooks into the Good Old US of A but I dunno who or how much. They cost about £6 here, around $12.

JoKeR63 said:
Very cool bike, it has a "toyish" quality with all that bright red.

When I was a kid and my dad was a mechanic, there was a sign hanging in the garage where he worked that said,
"The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" ;)

MadMick said:
Joeymac mate, that '2 rail' clamp will never hold that seat still, you need the Brooks '4 rail' seat clamp. I guess it will be available from the folks who import Brooks into the Good Old US of A but I dunno who or how much. They cost about £6 here, around $12.

Thanks for the tip! I did a quick search, and does this sound like what you are talking about?

"Seat Sandwich ®
An adaptor to allow a saddle with four frame rails to mount onto a standard one-bolt "microadjust" type seat post.
This consists of a grooved brass plate which fits between the upper and lower rails, so that the vertical clamp bolt doesn't distort them by squeezing them together. This accessory includes a longer than normal bolt, and is primarily used for mounting wider Brooks leather saddles, such as the B-72 and B-66. "

There wasn't a picture with this listing on http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sa-o.html#seatsandwich

I just looked this up, I think this might be it? http://www.wallbike.com/clampvssand.html

The only doubt I have is if that will work with my home-made bent seat post.
2670840890_b12be1538c.jpg

Re: SpaceLiner: DevilWing

The problem bolt:
2734343827_3a016853ab.jpg

the "solution":
2734344507_84ae580b1e.jpg

bars are still a little loose.

and now,
For comparison and inspiration's sake:
2734338745_5b6d73b076_b.jpg

DevilWing next to an All-Original SpaceLiner... almost a "before" and "after" shot. And there are other customs in the background.

My original inspiration (after looking at Viktor Schreckengost's bicycle concept drawings http://www.viktorschreckengost.org/Gallery/vgt_gallery_view/66/110/348 ) was to take the SpaceLiner design and send it back in time about 10-20 years. Almost like an early cosmonaut space rocket.
2735171702_25fd5bb8d4_b.jpg

610x.jpg

TotheStars-matchbox-cover-1963.jpg

Hey just a suggestion for your headstock issues... Try getting a small allen headed bolt from NAPA or something. You can get them in grade 8 which is stronger metal that wont bend plus the smaller head will sit more flush against your gooseneck. And you can find those in metric or standard, and sometimes you can find smaller bodied nuts in metric sizes... Just a suggestion man. I'm sure you'll get it squared away eventually.

Hey fellow spacelinerer... How's your search for a bar clamp solution going? Haven't heard anything about your battles recently...

BrigmasterA said:
Hey fellow spacelinerer... How's your search for a bar clamp solution going? Haven't heard anything about your battles recently...

Haven't really gained much headway with that yet. BUT I did apply white automotive pinstripe tape to the recessed grooves of the chainguard, and masked out a design on the sprocket cap to be painted white. Pictures soon, hopefully after I apply paint.

Anyone think it would be a bad idea for me to clear-coat over automotive pinstriping tape?

should be good to go, just remember there is usually a clear outer mask on the stripe too that has to be peeled off first if its the double line stuff

i havn't been on this site in a long time and then boom! i see your bike :D

it looks wonderful, another great addition to your spaceliner fleet. I'm usually not a fan of the super bright red tires, but they look perfect on your bike.

finishing touches...
2808316536_c09f5bb399.jpg

my first attempt at pinstriping... I used the tape. I also masked the sprocket cap to be painted.
2807468691_7c482c27a1.jpg

kinda sloppy-looking up close, I might try to clean up the lines. But it doesn't have to be perfect. :)
2808316898_af9ce79320.jpg

chainguard and sprocket cap installed.
2807469143_93cc345a44.jpg

2807469347_06b477c06c.jpg

H***'s Bell. I bought this big ding dong bell just for this spot on the frame (where the tank used to mount. But I am not sure if it isn't too much.
2808317446_48ef3de347.jpg

and I found this little tail light in my stash of parts, don't remember where I got it. Might have to use it.

Going to go for a ride and post some final pics on Saturday I hope. Good luck to everyone else in a last minute crunch :)

Re: SpaceLiner: DevilWing - Finishing Touches (pg. 5)

Man, the little details just really make an already awesome bike pop so much more. Great job on the DevilWing! I love the sprocket cap design... first thing that came to mind was Captain America's shield for some reason...
18346-main.jpg

Congrats on a beautiful build!

lookin good on the sprocket cap and guard, goes great with the pedals and tank :D

one last finishing touch, I had this made for me because I don't have any metal-working ability, and I know someone who does :)

2810640506_f202c08493_b.jpg

custom headbadge fabbed by Greg @ North Country Vintage&Custom Bicycles up in New Hampsire.

http://www.Northcountryvcbicycles.com

AKA Sabotagecreations here on the forums.

Thanks again!

So I got it ready to go for an early morning ride and take some new pics... but it's raining. And I just realized I am dead tired. So final pics later. Here it is for now:
2811022392_ba5d6a3588.jpg

And a close up of the headbadge on the bike.
2810176673_d7e3f5a7eb.jpg

chrome on chrome, that's what I'm talkin about.

Thanks again to everyone for the support and advice!
See ya in the finished bike section!

Latest posts

Back