SpaceLiner: DevilWing - build completed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SpaceLiner: DevilWing (progress...)

That bike is turning out to be one mean lookin' torpedo. :)

The red tires are perfect.

BTW...what are all those tall brown things with green stuff on them?

JoeyMac said:
CCR said:
saw 2 spaceliners today on my work route and made me wonder how your build was comin !!

Where did you see 2 SpaceLiners on your work route? :shock:

my route changes everyday, only covered around 170 miles today

saw one (chrome frame) being rode by an older guy when i was stopped at a Hucks gas station, i told him he had one nice bike and his only reply was "this tank dont need no gas" so its probly not for sale :lol: and another one (red and tankless) just sitting in a yard all by its lonesome in between 2 bushes ... i think that one had been retired to :shock: "yard-art" :shock: still looked like it wanted to go for a ride tho if you ask me. need an address ? :mrgreen:

JoeyMac said:
2631314725_5edc580138.jpg

Drool....that is SWEEEET!!! I would leave the rims chrome, it looks perfect as is!

JoeyMac said:
Here are more pics, it was a beautiful morning to ride:
2632136270_1d9d289991_b.jpg

this pic makes me vote for the chrome wheels to stay :mrgreen:

but its your bike and i dont think the black would hurt it any either

What size tires are those? Man, they look awesome! Would it be possible to take a shot of the clearance you have with those? Such a gorgeous bike, and that stem is perfect, really terrific.

I appreciate all the feedback folks, especially coming from you guys with your own sweet build-off bikes. It's fun being a part of this party :)

And I am glad the red tires are popular, because they are the most expensive part of this bike :oops: Everything else, the frame, the Brooks, was all dirt cheap by comparison. The tires are 2.125, to answer Brandon's question, and I don't have a good shot of the clearance right now, but I will have to take a new one later on. It's close, but they fit.

I am hoping to gain some more headway with this soon. I guess I still have a couple of small parts to find, but other than that I am on my way. And your feedback is pushing me on! :D

This bike looks incredible! I love the Spaceliners! You totally inspired me to go rat with my chrome one, so thanks. This is definitely one of the sharpest bikes I've seen in a long time, here or anywhere.

Awesome and unique! Those truss rods really compliment the lines of that frame.

Got some work done over the weekend. Spent a lot of time with a hacksaw. Here are some results:

2670837074_395aed7936.jpg

cut the reflector-bracket-turned-light bracket in half for better positioning:
2670837298_d40c7d5152.jpg

2670013683_077e60b197.jpg

a few nuts and bolts and pieces from a generator bracket to mount up the tank.

2670837668_122024d80b.jpg

worked out perfectly! I thought it would be hard to mount or end up loose and rattly. But that thing is solid. Might as well have been welded on.

2670837880_b2d4312c3c.jpg

getting somewhere.

2670838128_c10b260153.jpg

still some work to do.

2670838372_8415701730.jpg

got tired of trying to find a stem-bolt to fit the Varsity stem, so I decided to make the stem fit a bolt I already have. Also had to file down the face a little bit. But it also gave me a slightly lower profile.

2670014945_705de59f4f.jpg

cut 2 1/2" off the ends of the bars.

3-piece crank: (oops :wink:)
2670839132_2939192bfb.jpg

recycling a 1-piece crank. I need to replace this crank from my Ross Futura anyway because of a stripped pedal threading. By the by, anyone have a tip for getting the sprocket nut off the back of the sprocket? I can't get a wrench on it.

2670839666_67faf75cb3.jpg

borrowed a piece from this seat post.

2670840890_b12be1538c.jpg

I can't remember who posted this tip on here, but I borrowed it to make my own no-weld (bonded with metal epoxy and jammed in really hard) bent seat post.

2670017421_c42dbdb4a3.jpg

2670841494_ed0af09c74.jpg

I'd like to be a little farther back, but if I was any lower it would be hard to ride.

2670017855_0562c775ef.jpg

stem, bars and grips installed.

2670018073_bdd8e77fde.jpg

These parts I am still a little unsure about. They need some kind of detailing, or pinstriping, to break up that red. But I am not sure what.

So, that's about it for now. I am ready to take it for a ride, and get some outdoor pics (I had been waiting for it to not be raining or me not to be completely exhausted). It's good to get it off the stand though, because I now have room to start work on the next project, AngelWing (seen here in mockup):

2670842606_ce9418d1a1_b.jpg

AngelWing is not in the build-off, but she will be the counterpart to DevilWing, and I felt the comparison was necessary here. Imagine it with white tank, rack, chainguard, pedals, chain, and grips.

As for DevilWing, stay tuned for some ride pics!

Re: SpaceLiner: DevilWing (new pics, page 3)

just got back from an awesome sunrise maiden voyage on DevilWing....

And I think I sold my soul.

There's no hope for me now, it's an eternity of fire and tarnation.

I will post pics later, I need some sleep now. I work in 9 hours!

\m/ :mrgreen: \m/

Stupendous! Outstanding! Bravo! Brava!

Absolutely amazing bike. How the red contrasts with the chrome is just awesome. Angelwing is going to be THE perfect counterpart to Devilwing. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Is there a human Angel counterpart to ride Angelwing when you get it finished? Need riding pics too btw.

Only Angelwing can save your soul now!

jeff

That is so wild with all the red. Looks good.

can you put a pipe wrench on the nut to get the sprocket off. A pipe wrench can be harsh but sometimes is a rusty bikes best friend.

That looks really good, and that's coming from a guy who hates spaceliners!

Latest posts

Back