Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day one for my challenge started today!

So, this was hard! This thing, (TREK 3900) Since 2007, has NEVER been put up in storage!!!!
View attachment 131493

After an early AM pedal swap & spiffy tune, I borrowed the wife’s old Raleigh Technium.
View attachment 131494

The chain was definitely dry and had a few spots of light surface rust on it. -the closest petroleum based product I could find during my tuneup was marvel mystery oil, which I promptly put on the chain and dag-gum! It worked great!!!!

I did my Regular Saturday morning 20 mile ride.

So uh.... after riding a 39 pound bike pretty much exclusively the past 13 years, this little rocket was quite the experience!!!!!

Two words for ya; Rolling Resistance
Holy moly! Thing made my ride cake!!!

Next up; Huffy Time!!!!!

Ok, so, these were the cheapest tires on eBay!

My wife said she hated it and that it looked ridiculous. So..... it’s cool?????
91BEF61E-2E03-4F6B-A05C-C54B03EFE2D6.jpeg

I have no idea how to decipher Huffy serial numbers. I think this is an 80’s rig. The interweb said the Savannah production run was in the 80’s and ended in the early 90’s.

I am stoked it’s a 3 speed. I’m more stoked to put all these parts on that rusted out Murray/ western flyer!
85D71197-386A-4FFF-8FBB-52C567E4FB6E.jpeg
41734905-63DD-4988-A468-F55E13BB2CD2.jpeg

Last edited:
die-hard-quotes.jpg

You’re doing 40 mile rides on 20” bikes? Holy moly! How long does that take?
Around 2.5hr for three speeds and 3hrs for of the Stingray with bmx cranks and gearing.

D10: 0mi...thus far.

Gonna let the old guy remain ahead while I take a break.

View attachment 131526

Around 2.5hr for three speeds and 3hrs for of the Stingray with bmx cranks and gearing.

D10: 0mi...thus far.

Gonna let the old guy remain ahead while I take a break.
Amazing! Averaging 16 mph for 40 miles on a 20” bike is freaking flying!

I have a single speed, short crank stingray. I was just going to do a token ride on it for the 5 points. Maybe I’ll take it for a longer spin and see how it goes.

The bikes I'm using are heavily modded. They do retain many OG components including the hubs.
The Stingray frame was stretched. The spindle is much higher than stock. Gearing is bigger than a 5 speed Krate's 4th. It's less taxing for me to ride the Schwinn because I'm not constantly pedaling. Not quick enough to keep up with other riders. Very fun bike for cruising and hops though. Gobs of legroom.
IMG_SS.jpg

H RAIL.jpg

Formula.jpg

Last edited:
The bikes I'm using are heavily modded. They do retain many OG components including the hubs.
The Stingray frame was stretched. The spindle is much higher than stock. Gearing is bigger than a 5 speed Krate's 4th. It's less taxing for me to ride the Schwinn because I'm not constantly pedaling. Not quick enough to keep up with other riders. Very fun bike for cruising and hops though. Gobs of legroom.
View attachment 131532
View attachment 131530
View attachment 131529
Wicked cool! I’m only logging about 100 a week now. I saw where you were logging about 200.....

Mods or no mods, you’re still doing some serious biking.

Pretty big north wind today. Temp 58F when I got up and it’s now 64F. Perfect for biking but it’s going to rain. I’ll have to find a bike to ride that can get wet. I got a flat on yesterday’s ride and I have to fix that before I hoist it into my shop attic. It’s so easy to be lazy.

64!? Feels like 90 and humid everyday. Slowing me down :whew:
Rain for me as well :ninja:

Don't forget to wax that chain :wink1:

No riding today. Sore saddle and toe blisters. No rain today but it’s very windy from the north and temperatures since 9 am have been 54F to 62F. Some trees are starting to change color. Here’s a photo of my front yard today.View attachment 131790
Amazing how cool it is up there already.... I’m in upstate NY which most people in the US view as Antarctica!

As far north as we are, I’m still grinding in 85 degree heat and no shirt. (Wear day glow construction vest)

20 miles on the Raleigh again. Thing is a rocket compared to my TREK 3900 SLED!!!! MTD points at 55.
E5423439-BAAD-4645-9DC9-BA5B4A6613DA.jpeg

Amazing how cool it is up there already.... I’m in upstate NY which most people in the US view as Antarctica!

As far north as we are, I’m still grinding in 85 degree heat and no shirt. (Wear day glow construction vest)

20 miles on the Raleigh again. Thing is a rocket compared to my TREK 3900 SLED!!!! MTD points at 55.
View attachment 131808
The predicted high tomorrow is going to be 62F, but then it’s going to be in the 70s for the next 9 days with one day touching 80F. Still some nice riding weather. The same trees always turn color early. They are stressed, sick or on hilltops.

Wo
I'd settle for 90. It's pretty much 102-105 everyday here
Wow, Hot there. High here today 62, tonight 50 but 72 tomorrow. 50s here now. I turned on the heat. I almost started up the wood stove, but I couldn’t bear to do something that ridiculous. It’s dark out from low grey clouds and a stiff north wind. I’m trying to motivate myself into riding. It’s muddy in the woods so I’ll ride on the road.

Hmmmm;
Rain all day; wet riding route - my vintage Raleigh sure does look nice, white n clean!

Lifting day, so, only a 10 mile ride.....
Hmmmmm..... TRASH BIKE TIME!!!!!

10 more miles on the Huffy! 65 MTD points!!!
9A5C7AC7-47CD-4624-ADDD-7DF01A717E67.jpeg

So, this wasn’t a token ride like I did on this the other day with wifey!!!! This was a workout ride and it was pretty tough.

Amazingly, very little wind. The 3 speed and bike worked very well, but wreaked havoc on the cadence I’ve had the last 14 years on my TREK. My natural cadence was somewhere between second and third gear, but anything else wasn’t an option!!! I ended up doing 90-95% of the ride in 3rd, which was too much gear.

My splits to my 5 mile mark were only off by 50 seconds, which is not bad considering I got stuck at a light and had to slow down for some kids walking to go fishing backing up the trail. (This Bike is definitely lighter than my 39 pound TREK, which may help !!!!’)

The platform pedals were fine, but I was amazed the burn and fatigue set up in my mid-thigh and hammy’s vs the tip of my quads above my knee where I thought I would get the burn.

My full ride time was off by 5 full minutes off my typical pace. -with new muscle area use/fatigue and hitting another traffic light on the way back sort of shot my time. (Stopping for pictures probably didn’t help either!!!). Lol

At any rate, great workout and great fun!

Tomorrow’s an off day! What can I dig up for fun????

PS: fenders sure are nice on a super wet ride!!!

Good to see you guys putting down the miles! I'll join in come fall when things cool down. Guess I'll need something more vintage that can throwdown

Went out for 10+ myself tonight but just on my 29'er. But I did find a Cranbrook dumped in the woods! Score one for me!

Latest posts

Back