Solid stack paint fade question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Below is a picture of a bike with a solid stack (Not my bike, I'm just using it for reference for this question). The solid stack is all one color. To me, that seems weird if the paint had a fade in the back. Granted, the picture below doesn't have a fade in the back, which in and of itself seems strange to me, but, hypothetically, if the bike below had back fade in the back, would it look better for the guard to have a fade in it too?

I know that's a very opinionated question. And I'm sure "correct" would mean a solid color. (I've never seen a solid stack not a solid color). Would a fade on it look strange?

whole_zpsd5bed519.jpg~original

I think with the black and orange fade paint job on this frame the guard might look odd with the end being black. It might blend in too much with the back of the frame and the tire. Maybe on a different color fade it might look good though?

Also, I think the guard in this picture is missing the back muffler section, it looks like it was cut off.

I had that same dilemma when I was building my grandsons bike, I wanted it to look as if it was a rare original Huffy. My conclusion came down to the custom decal I put on his, I felt like the white decal would wash out with the silver paint and a black or different color wouldn't show up as well so I decided to go with just the blue paint on the guard. If you paint or apply a logo/design just make sure it can be seen with the paint combination you choose, bottom line do what you like best.

I think you're right. Fade it right along with the frame. In fact mounting the guard and then painting it would line the fade up with the frame. Does that make sense? I think it would flow much better.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

I have two orange to black fade Huffy's with solid stack chain guards. both of mine have the "muffler" on the back of the guard unlike the one posted in your pick. One is a three speed short frame cheater slick and one is a long frame 5 speed Firestone GTO SS/V. Both of the guards are painted orange and both bikes are very original.

Latest posts

Back