Snake Farm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SnakeFarm1.jpg

The original bicycle. Not a promising beginning, but it was there. A vintage bike about 2 years old. My wife bought it, rode around the block one time, and decided she didn't want to ride a bicycle. It has sat in the garage ever since. I think we paid $50 or $60 for it at Walmart. "Kent" brand, if that matters. Aluminum frame.

SnakeFarm2.jpg

The typical bicycle building stuff, 1x2's, angle pieces from an old bed frame, old pipe that I found beside the road long ago, old seats, new spray paint and bolts and steel bar.

SnakeFarm3.jpg

Here's what the pipe is for. I bent it by the sophistocated method of putting the ends on two 2x4's and then standing on itl Good thing I'm not in shape or that wouldn't have worked. The pipe is just wedged in there for right now. This is just for cosmetics, it's not intended to be an actual part of the frame.

SnakeFarm4.jpg

Cutting out the filler plate. This will be to make a sign and also is a means to support a low-gravity style front container which is yet to be built (that's where the angles and the 1x2's come in).

SnakeFarm5.jpg

The plywood filler plate in place, also just wedged in.

SnakeFarm6.jpg

Status so far. I de-colorized to give a better idea of how it will look (the plywood will be black, too, though). I've removed all the decals and reflectors, raised the handlebars, swapped the seat out for an Arpan, and made three of the bands that go around the frame to hold the plywood and top bar on. I was going to remove the chain guard, but the front sprocket is pretty small and looks funny without the chain guard, so I may just leave it on.

That Arpan seat is off an an Arpan Low Gravity bicycle. It looks good but is a cheap fairly useless seat. It is not leather, but hard plastic.

Looks good, but what's gonna hold the top tube in place?

The loops around the top bar holding the plywood are made from 1/8"x3/4" bar. I'll put similar loops around the seat tube and the head tube and bolted through the ends of the pipe. The pipe isn't really intended as part of the frame, so all they have to do is hold it in place. There will also at least one of those loops attaching to the bar under the plywood. The container on the bike will tend to lift or rotate the plywood, and that should keep it in place.

By the way, I never claimed to be a craftsman, so there's no guarantee that this is going to be any good when I get done with it!

Take the bike and a case of beer to a local welding shop on a friday afternoon, I can almost guarantee that'll get the job done !

I would be glad to weld it and i don,t even drink beer. But i am In Phx.Az.. And there is no way you can weld that steel bar to a alum frame. but would be easy to weld some alum. bar in . Good luck. I have built many sand rails and race cars and there is no way that bar will stay in that frame .First hard bump it will pop out. again good luck. bartleydad

When it's all bolted together, it won't pop completely out. I may have problems with it shifting slighly; that remains to be seen. This bike can be ridden when done, but I'm not expecting anyone to put a lot of miles on it (doubt I'll ride it much at all, the frame is too small. The daughter might.)

I don't know the details of welded aluminum bike frames. With a lot of the aluminum alloys, you get some major weakening around welds, which can be reversed by heat treating the frame after welding. On a $60 bike, you'd think that wouldn't be the case, but who knows? Anyway, steel is it for now.

I know the 2 materials cannot welded, but obtaining an aluminium tube and having it done wouldnt be that big of a deal. NEW OPTION yes the pic is crude but I'm not gonna CAD it and convert it for a simple explanation. Plug both ends of the tube with a wood dowel, use epoxy or it could be pinned through the tube itself. Drill the dowel out enough to accept a 1/4 lag bolt, screw the lag into the dowel, you will only be able to use a short stub protruding from the dowel as you would be dealing with the seat post and stem in the front. Cut the head off of the lag, clean it up with a file, round the edge just a bit. Drill a 1/4" hole in the seat post and head tube (removing the stem and seat post first !) Then a slight tweak of the frame and pop her in place. I'd say JB weld but the frame will have some flex, so the epoxy would probably stress crack eventually.

pinnedtube.jpg

I was kinda hoping, that it was going to be announced, that they were going to have a SPECIAL category for "Aluminum" ladies bikes.....ME, being the only entrant with a girls aluminum bike, I would WIN!....I've "worked" hard on my acceptance speech, so I would appreciate it if you would consider taking your bike out of the competition. :) (just kidding)

Worked on it some more today. Got the rest of the bands made, and painted the frame and miscellaneous stuff.

I didn't try to remove the old paint, and it is a glossy plasticky paint, so I suspect I may have some adhesion problems. Meaning this will look okay if I don't actually use it! Then, the more beat up it gets, the shinier it will get!

I tried to get the goo off from the decals, and that was a pain, and I didn't do a very good job of it when it was all said and done, too. I think Koto's safe on winning the big prize. But I did get it painted, and will need to touch up some damaged areas when it's done. I figured I should match the quality of the paint to the quality of the frame, so I used the 99 cent spray paint from Lowes for it.

I did get all the bands on, attaching to the frame and the plywood. I think it'll work okay. I have bare bolt ends sticking out on one side (one is extra long because I ran out). I may go back and get some shorter black bolts to use.

Here it is prior to painting. The glob of foil is the chain.
SnakeFarm7.jpg

Here it is when I quit work this evening.
SnakeFarm8.jpg

That foil masking is very creative. I might have to stock a roll in the garage. :mrgreen:

Amazing the potential you saw in that bike. I like it.

Ya, if you payed $50 or $60 for it at Wal-Mart it's probably best to leave the old paint on. Might have some of that good old Chines high quality lead paint!! :shock:

The aluminum foil....Dude you Rock!! 8)

The bikes lookin good man. Can't wait to see it finished!! Just bought my wife a Big 5 bike for $97 (including tax) What a big spender I am. he..he I'm kinda doing the same thing as you. I'm sure you'll agree it's just to much fun!

Got my angle pieces cut, drilled for the rear, and cut the plywood spacers so they would go around the head tube. I'm guessing they will be fairly floppy, but I don't have anything better to use right now.
SnakeFarm9.jpg

I have in mind to try these handlebars:
http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Steel-Handle ... 26&sr=1-49

And this stem: (Need to confirm size yet):
http://www.amazon.com/Stem-Pyramid-Stee ... 565&sr=1-3

And I'll need to get those pieces in and installed before I can make the box, in order to not make the box too tall.

I'm trying to get the handlebars up high to allow the box to be reasonably tall. The box of course will be a snake box with "Snake Farm- Free Delivery" or a similar message painted on it and/or on the frame filler plate. If I get energetic enough, I'll make an electric rattle to go in the box. :)

Got my handlebars and stem ordered, and started masking off the spokes so I could paint the wheels red. Sort of a chore there.

Took the masking off the spokes and remounted the tires last night, put the wheels back on the bike today.

SnakeFarm11.jpg

Also went ahead and painted the angle pieces and the wood spacer pieces behind them. Waiting on UPS to deliver my handlebars and stem now! They should be here today, but it's 6:43 and no sign of them yet.

SnakeFarm12.jpg

Got my handlebars and stem in.
The handlebars aren't quite the shape I was thinking, I was expecting the handles to be pointing more straight back. But I think they'll work okay. The stem is just what I had in mind. Now to build the snake box that will fit on top of the angles and under the handlebars.
SnakeFarm13.jpg

SnakeFarm14.jpg

SnakeFarm15.jpg

Latest posts

Back